Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New-York (NY) skyline from a plane

What a great idea….beats the tourist helecopter rides. Great photos thanks for sharing.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Alex_ wrote:

What a great idea….beats the tourist helecopter rides.

For sure….a helicopter ride costs 145$ per person for 15min…. There is no hesitation to have….

Last Edited by jfw at 29 Mar 19:19
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

And you can also do it at night when they give you even more freedom. Did that a couple of years ago. Write up is here ==> http://lfhnflightstudent.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/new-york-night-flight-over-manhattan.html

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

@jfw Thanks, I’ll be following your footsteps in 2 weeks then :-)

Back from NYC. We flew the Skyline route in class Bravo with a flight instructor. The weather was skyclear and the flight breathtaking! The flight was conducted with Century Air Dispatch (Essex County Airport) and the costs were $165 (Cessna 172SP + instructor + 2 headsets). Hobbs meter showed a time of 0.8. We wanted to go down the East River and cross via Central Park but were not allowed to because of the Yankees game that was going on. The pictures were taken with an iPhone 6. I’ll do this again for sure!

Last Edited by Dominik at 25 Apr 21:56

Great shots. It is a wonderful statement on the freedom of flight in the US that you can still do this after the events of 9/11. It is such a great country to fly in.

EGTK Oxford

Cool pictures, they make one envious !

No nitpicking intended but I guess it was a C172P (old-style panel). Will you also do your FAA validation while in the US?

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Cool… the US is so easy going with GA.
Nice to have another reference for the NY area for plane rental as well !

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

blueline wrote:

No nitpicking intended but I guess it was a C172P (old-style panel). Will you also do your FAA validation while in the US?

You’re right, it’s not a 172SP. I wasn’t that sure about it either, as this was the first time I ever flew a 172 (I know, really unusual for a GA pilot…).
This is not my first time flying in the US – I’ve been there on previous flying adventures in 2014 and 2015. Didn’t get a chance to do my biennial flight review, though. I just don’t have the time to do a full checkout because this is a purely business related trip. Maybe later this year, though.

I can add few pictures from our scenic flight, one and a half years ago. Like @Dominik we had a near perfect day. We went down the Skyline Route from Alpine Tower to VC Bridge in B at 1300ft. Then descended to 900ft circled the lady and went back to Alpine tower as a ‘local operation’.

1300ft, still higher than Empire State

And even a little higher than One World Trade Center

The Lady

The big picture

Now at 900ft

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message