Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Canary Islands

Are here people who flew before from Europe to the Canary Islands?

Yesterday this idea was born for later this year. September/october, we will see.
The rough plan is to fly from Spain (rent an aircraft in Jerez or somewhere else) so we could fly with our EASA license via Morocco to the Canary Islands. Or I think I can also get the Mooney from Charleroi with me for it. We will have to count and calculate a bit, but that plane has already flown in Africa and I know it is insured for it.

I have never been there before but at the moment my island of choice would be Tenerife or Gran canara I think.

So any tips about flying in Africa (Morocco) or maybe Algeria?
Other things we have to be aware of?
A good GA airport on the Canary Islands (utopia?)

shoot!

Last Edited by Vieke at 28 Mar 12:50
Vie
EBAW/EBZW

https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/3186-flights-to-through-morocco-and-eventually-over-to-the-canary-islands?page=1

I found already this useful topic, but are there tips of people who flew recently?

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Hi Vieke

Morocco, is a really nice place to fly. Charts can be found here (VFR Area Chart): http://www.sia-aviation.gov.ma/cartes_vfr.htm
VFR has to follow routes with reporting pont.

Airport if used in VFR are really cheap. For example Marrakech is 2€ landing fee (2000kg MTOW). No Security and Passengers fee for crew.
AVGAS is expensive there and not available everywhere (check NOTAM). Around 3€ per liter. If you have a Jet A1 plane, it’s better. Last month, Jet A1 was 0,40€ per liter.

Expect some time to pass the security check. Each flight for departure and arrival, you have to fill the form with details (same when you get there by airline).
Each airport has a MET office and Crew office where you can file flight plan and get NOTAM.

I’m planning to do the Canarias to this year…

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

I have been to both Marocco and the Canary Islands. If you are there, why not fly a little further through Western Sahara into Mauritania. I can help you with getting the permissions and meeting some people there to do some cool flying into Chinguetti and Atar.

EDLE, Netherlands

Vieke wrote:

A good GA airport on the Canary Islands (utopia?)

El Berriel (GCLB). In Gran Canaria island. Small uncontrolled airfield

LECU - Madrid, Spain

And I find indications of a field GCHI “El Hierro” on the most south-westerly of the Islands. No idea what it is like, though.
Idem ditto for GCGM on the island of La Gomera.

Last Edited by at 31 Mar 19:15
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I have been to El Hierro. Landed there just 2 minutes before they closed for the day and did some scuba diving there.

Here is a video of me diving in El Hierro. Taxi Diver is the place to be (the lady on the boat runs her dive shop).

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 31 Mar 20:31
EDLE, Netherlands

Thanks all,

At the moment it is only in the ‘looking for information’ phase. Nothing concrete yet, that will come in a few months…but the more I think about it, the more I want to do this trip.

Romain wrote:

I’m planning to do the Canarias to this year…

I found already the charts on the internet, thanks. Skydemon also provides the mandatory routes so that is useful too. If you go there this summer, I want for sure a trip report, because we probably will go later on the year.

AeroPlus wrote:

I have been to both Marocco and the Canary Islands. If you are there, why not fly a little further through Western Sahara into Mauritania. I can help you with getting the permissions and meeting some people there to do some cool flying into Chinguetti and Atar.

This is interesting, ths. If we are in the planning phase within a few months, I will contact you for more information! How much time does the permissions take?

I still have to decide the island. A sort of flashback with my Istanbul trip, I also couldn’t choose the most beautiful island

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Vieke wrote:

I still have to decide the island.

That’s what GA is for – you can visit them all! For cost reasons, I’m a bit in doubt about flying my aircraft all the way from Prague to the Canaries, but if it’s possible to rent something directly at any of the islands, I’ll definitely go for it. Does anyone know any facilities there that rent planes? A humble C150 would do.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

We are still looking for the different options:

- renting a plane in Spain (piper arrow, beech or some other IFR tourer)
- Flying with an IFR tourer from Belgium

I think there is a flying club on Tenerife north, but the field is almost always in IMC

Vie
EBAW/EBZW
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message