Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Italy

Thank for that great explanation !
On IPad I use airnav pro with avioportolano as back maps. But zones are designed independently and I can notice a big Roma TMA A from 2500 MSL to FL195. So I had to noticed it !
I think these zones on airnav are not up to date because it includes Elba which is not the case in your link post…
These changes are only for Roma TMA ? Or there is other funny surprises ?
Finally VFR point are may be easier ;-)

I will read carefully everything you wrote previously

Pierre Philippe

PPG
LFNV

I’ve visited Italy twice with GA, Venice/Lido and a smaller airport near Lucca IIRC. The flying part was never a problem, customs at Venice is a whole other story though.

When we arrived from Croatia the customs people did a quick check of our passports and bags, no fuzz and not much said either because they didn’t speak a word english. But the customs procedure when we arrvied in the late afternoon to depart back to Croatia was exhaustive, we never thought we’d be able to leave Italy.

The customs folks had left for the day so we had to wait for the Police to arrive (1h or so after the call). When they finally showed up in their ironed uniforms and “bling” on their chests, they pointed at me, took me into a room and asked “capitano?”.. yes I said, they pointed to a chair and there I sat while they checked the passport for 5 minutes with their briefcases opened up in front of them on the table. Again, not a word in English just a lot of Italian which I gently nodded to :)

Each and everyone one of us (8 people) had to be checked individually before we were allowed to depart. They also checked the aircraft. I’ve never seen anything like it, it wasn’t something we expected in Europe 2013 :)

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 09 Jun 06:48

To Martin-Esmi :

Each and everyone one of us (8 people) had to be checked individually before we were allowed to depart. They also checked the aircraft. I’ve never seen anything like it, it wasn’t something we expected in Europe 2013 :)

Yes,when I landed Castellon de la Plana by Self Announcing (cause the AFISO wasnt replying !),Guardia Civil encircled my 172 and put a special dog in the hood to snif.Then they kept yelling at me in Spanish and then they left !.Never understood what happened or wanted.
Also check a fresh one 03-06-15 here: https://www.you-fly.com/airport/evra/Riga

LGGG

Just one remark about Foggia – be persistent on getting reply and confirmation on landing approval and fuel availability – sometimes they are hard to reach (phone, fax, e-mail – I used everything) and slow to respond.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes I rode it on an other topic. I’ll will insist….tks, Emir !

PPG

PPG
LFNV

Hi all new to this, doing the Malta Air Rally this year, anybody had experience recently of Avgas availability in Italy especially southern Italy.

Any suggestions of a routing or where not to route?

Hi, you could consider LIRI Salerno. I did a tech stop there a couple of months ago on the way from Malta to Cannes. LIRI was friendly and reasonably priced, at a stunning location on the Amalfi coast. See AIP for details; for PPR and confirmation of avgas availability, contact [email protected]

LIRU, Roma Urbe, is a good stop and only a 20 min taxi ride into central Rome. There is also avgas at LICR Reggio Calabria.

Avoid Cagliari LIEE (Sardinia) which is horrendously expensive. I also tend to avoid fuel stops in Sicily due to handling fees (at Catania LICC, the aeroclub are not always able or willing to help). There is avgas at LICP Palermo Bocca di Falco should you need to stop in Sicily, but confirm availability first.

To and from Malta, I generally route via LFMT or LFMD, and LFKJ. Clearly it depends on your range and the winds on the day, and whether you prefer to avoid long overwater legs.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

Fenland,

there are three handy airports with decent-priced Avgas surrounding the South of Italy, and most people use these when actually flying to or in the South of Italy.

These are:

• in the West: Figari (Corsica)
  • in the South: Malta
  • in the East: Dubrovnik (Croatia)

If you are short of range and need fuel in the very south of Italy, drop me a PM and l’ll let you know where to go.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks for info, was looking to route Bastia-Solerno-Reggio-Luqa but would like a plan B if we encounter strong head winds. Anybody know anywhere with avgas between Solerno and Reggio that is likely to let me have some if required?Anyone know anything about Scalea ?

I am also planning a flight around Italy this summer with the Antique Aircraft Association (AAA) of Switzerland, so this thread is of great interest.

We will likely be about 10-12 aircraft, mostly vintage such as Jodel’s, Super Cub’s, and older Piper’s (Tri-Pacer), Cessna’s (152, 172, 175, etc) with possibly a couple higher-performance aircraft like a Bonanza or a Diamond DA42. Other than the DA42, all will need avgas and some will have limited range (we usually plan max 200nm legs for the slower a/c with less range and the others can skip stops if desired and not needed).

Our intent is to spend the last 10 days of July (21-30) travelling down the west side of Italy and up the east side, with possibly a hop over to Malta. Due to weather, we never reserve accommodation in advance and the first aircraft(s) to arrive at a planned overnight stop start trying to find beds. Some bring camping gear, but this tends to be the exception rather than the norm.

A first shot at leg planning is very preliminary, and hasn’t yet had a sanity check on avgas availability, but looks like the following. It will certainly change.
LSZL (Locarno) – LIRJ (Elba) – LIRI (Salerno) – LICA (Lamezia Therme) – LICT (Trapani) – LMML (Malta) – LICR (Reggio) – LIBC (Crotone) – LINL (Lecce) – LIBP (Pescara) – LIRZ (Perugia) – LIRQ (Florence) – LSZL

There will likely be fuel stop options investigated around Elba (e.g. hop the 40nm over to Bastia just for fuel since the price would be about 1/2 that in Elba). Florence has limited parking for such a large gaggle and has become GA-unfriendly due to the required credit card commitment in advance and charged even if no-show (e.g. due to weather). Other known fields in the area are Lucca which would suit all a/c or IFIBSL Collina (grass, avgas ?? tbd).

If anyone has any comments/experience on the above locations, I would be glad to hear them. I’ve been to Florence and Elba myself, but not recently. Same applies for any other location suggestions that would fit in with that route, preferably paved runway. A couple that I plan to check are Giubiliana Ragusa and LIKO Guglielmo Zamboni.

Sorry to just on your thread Fenland, but I think the information we are seeking is mutually advantageous.

Vince

Last Edited by chflyer at 01 Apr 10:13
LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message