Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Italy

I went to Lucca in 2014. There are some pics of the airport in that writeup. They had customs and avgas. A very friendly place.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LINL Lecce has been closed as an airport for over ten years now.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

chflyer wrote:

IFIBSL Collina (grass, avgas ?? tbd).

If it is Collina near Borgo San Lorenzo that is meant, the Avioportolano mentions a grass runway of 720m, but says nothing about fuel availability.

The field’s own web site confirms that information but remains equally silent about fuel. I’d not be surprised if, like ofttimes in Italy, nothing is organised but many things can be arranged.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

On a quick and dirty look, using Navbox Pro, looking here

the airports which show avgas are

LIRA LIRL LIBP LIRN LICR LIXP LIBA LIAP

LIBR lists it but reports suggest that info has never been right.

I would treat the above with caution because it’s way more than others have reported

Funny that Navbox still shows LINL and that data supposedly comes from the AIP Maybe @Peter_Mundy can confirm?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Inland from Elba is Terni LIAA. They had avgas and were happy to sell to outsiders when I visited a few years ago. Website http://www.avioleonarditerni.it/it/

EGBP Kemble, United Kingdom

Thanks for all the suggestions. That’s a great writeup on Lucca, Peter. Thanks! I have the Avioportolano app, and it is really great. Just takes some time to digest all the info, and my Italian isn’t great (trying to understand based on knowledge of French att). One neat feature is that one can filter on avgas and it will only show those airfields. This is what it indicates.

Red are civil airports, Green are mixed civil/military, and Tan are “Aviosuperficie” which are normally grass and long enough for most GA aircraft (>600m or so). Pale Green are “Campo di volo” which are essentially ULM fields and too short for certified aircraft. Each needs to be checked, though, and probably individually contacted for confirmation. For example, Siena is shown. It is also listed by BP as a field where they supply avgas but with a note that the airfield is closed to all except aeroclub aircraft since 2013.

Here is what Terni shows. As you mention, Steven, it looks like a good alternate to Elba for fuel (the red fuel pump indicates avgas. Green is mogas and black is jet-a).

The only issue with Avioportolano is that some of the info is quite old. See the latest update date for Terni: 16/04/2012.

I’ll review the ones you listed, Peter, and we’ll see what percolates out for options…

Vince

Last Edited by chflyer at 01 Apr 18:54
LSZK, Switzerland

Vince,

Instead of LINL Lecce go to Air Salento, they also sell Avgas to visiting aircraft but it won’t be cheap and it will take a while.I don’t know whether they will be able to serve 12 aircraft though. Lecce is a beautiful baroque city and the beaches are very nice. I don’t think Trapani will have Avgas. In lieu of Salerno check out Scalea a bit further south. Salerno is good if you want to visit the Amalfi coast but you must be very lucky to find beds for such a big group in the middle of the summer. Perugia has very cheap Avgas, even cheaper than what I pay in Zurich. I just came back from there and I paid EUR 1.92. The problem is that you will pay in handling charges what you save in Avgas, Terni a bit further south also has quite cheap Avgas and is cheap with regards to fees. It’s really only a place to refuel in my view though.

Check out Serristori, it is an avio resort with onsite sleeping accommodations at Castiglion Fiorentino, Cortona is a stone throw away, very nice area. Unless you want to go to Florence I wouldn’t chose Florence the airport. Expensive and most probably will not be happy to host 12 aircraft.

On the east coast Fano is also very straight forward and at least in the past has always carried Avgas. What you need to consider is that those fields that might carry Avgas are not the places you might want to visit.

I will be happy to help you out also from a language point of view.

Cheers,
Placido

LSZH

Chflyer,

No worries, all information is useful on such a trip!

About avgas in central Italy: Foligno (LIAF) is like Terni (zero landing fees, avgas sold at 2.3€/l as of today), but Foligno has much longer runway. In Perugia (LIRZ) avgas is cheaper (1.9€/l roughly), but landing is expensive (60€). Rome Urbe (LIRU) has avgas at around 2.3€/l, and landing costs 40€ roughly. Elba is expensive both for landing and avgas, but the island is beautiful. Perugia and Urbe have the advantage to be “depositi fiscali” so they must sell you duty-free avgas if you show a flighplan to outside Europe (Switzerland, Montenegro, Jersey, etc…).

Last Edited by at 01 Apr 23:00

Great feedback! Is the duty free for inbound or outbound flights or both? I think in France it’s just for outbound.

Anyone have any experience with Guglielmo Zamboni / LIKO? It is near Bologna and their web site is very welcoming and seems to promote GA.
Guglielmo Zamboni LIKO

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message