Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France-Switzerland flight: customs procedure?

Peter wrote:

Customs (which needs a higher trained inspector) whereas the UK needs just immigration

For customs, you only need random checks, while for immigration, you need 100% checks AFAIK.

So your highly trained inspector only needs to turn up if he suspects something (or if the whether’s nice and he wants to eat some ice cream at the airport restaurant)…

It’s the same in Switzerland. Before Schengen, you could fly from the UK to Wangen Lachen (with prior notification). Now, you can only fly to WaLa from within Schengen, presumably because the requirements of the Schengen treaty are stricter than the authorities want to handle for an airport without “resident” immigration officers.

LSZK, Switzerland

You can fly from LFPT and LFPN to any country within Schengen (and outside the EU) provided you

• provide PN to Customs as per the NOTAM
  • apply the procedures of your destination

If you fly to Lausanne for example, you need to contact OPS and they will provide you with a form you need to fill out and return to them.

BTW Lausanne have a very nice restaurant on the field although somewhat costly.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 10 Apr 09:06
LFPT, LFPN

Customs are not the same as police!

Yes, but that reinforces my point. France supports Toussus flights which need a Customs officer (e.g. Switzerland) but doesn’t support Toussus flights which just need a “simple” policeman (e.g. UK).

AND neither officer is there permanently; they are implemented as a “flying squad” which turns up randomly in a nice twin turbine helicopter, spending some €5000-€10000 of French taxpayer money in the process, on doing a random check.

For customs, you only need random checks, while for immigration, you need 100% checks AFAIK.

Hmmm; that’s an interesting take on it! It’s definitely not implemented that way at 93.56% of French customs+immigration airports

You can fly from LFPT and LFPN to any country within Schengen provided you…

I don’t see a similar notam for Pontoise LFPT.

I recall reports from airport managers of the “UK popular” airports saying they lost 30% of their traffic in 2012. I guess that with a Chamber of Commerce funded airport, nobody actually gives a damn (much CofC activity is one big jolly with nice lunches) but that’s just living on borrowed time because, eventually, somebody will arrive on the scene who can actually add up. And then the airport gets shut. I don’t think much French “club level” GA goes to these places.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I don’t see a similar notam for Pontoise LFPT.

You scared me there for a moment.

You are right that there is no longer a NOTAM. That appears to be because it has made it into the AIP at last.

LFPT, LFPN

Thank-you all for your detailed answers.
I’ll fly from LFPN to LSZC (Buochs). Do you think Buochs is OK with Swiss Customs ?

LFLY, France

My guess is as good as yours.

A quick Google search shows they do have a website. From what I can see it is not a cheap airport. From what I can gather from the pricelist, it will probably cost you 79 CHF to land and park for a few hours.

Judging from this
01.10.2014 – Non Schengen ARR/DEP Procedure
For all Flights from/to NON Schengen destinations, Passport Control has to be made at the Police facility on the South Apron next to the TWR. If any flight delays are expected, Airport Buochs has to be informed immediately. phone 41 41 622 06 11

they do allow extra-Schengen arrivals, so intra-Schengen arrivals are probably also OK.

Go to the website, click “Fluganmeldung”, fill out the form.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 10 Apr 12:31
LFPT, LFPN

Thanks @Aviathor, but I meant Customs, not passport control, which is not relevant within Schengen countries.
Do you know if Buochs is ok for Swiss Customs and Excise administration ?

LFLY, France

Nestor wrote:

Do you know if Buochs is ok for Swiss Customs and Excise administration ?

according to this— (there is also a french version—) Buochs is a category D airport, i.e. Aerodrome with authorised traffic with Schengen countries (not a customs aerodrome). So it is ok if you prenotify (typically at least 2h before landing, but check the airport website), and if you don’t have any goods to declare with you.

Last Edited by tomjnx at 10 Apr 22:58
LSZK, Switzerland

If they are ok for extra-Schengen ARR/DEP, it means they have both imigrations and customs and are also able to handle intra-Schengen ARR/DEP.

And since Switzerland is outside the EU you need customs in any event.

The prenotification form is available on their website under “Fluganmeldung” as per my previous post.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 11 Apr 05:15
LFPT, LFPN

Buochs has a nice long runway but other than that I can’t immagine why you’d want to go there.

For a lunch stop over consider Birrfeld, nice onsite restaurant, lot’s of traffic and much cheaper. You absolutely need to have the VAC and fly the pattern as depicted.

LSZH
Sign in to add your message