Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Annemasse (LFLI) to Riga (EVRA)

hi everyone,

recently flew IFR from annemasse (LFLI) to riga (EVRA) and then onto rotterdam (EHRD). lots of interesting insights including the IFR departure procedure from LFLI as well as good fuel stops on the way and handling pros and cons in EVRA (great city by the way)… and of course having to avoid Kaliningrad airspace…

if anyone needs info don’t hesitate to reach out.

P.

LFLP

pashab wrote:

and of course having to avoid Kaliningrad airspace…

Why did you avoid Kaliningrad?

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Why did you avoid Kaliningrad?

Enroute charges regardless of MTOM, I suppose. Rather expensive too, AFAIU.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I was charged USD70 for crossing their airspace in a 2.3t Meridian en route to Helsinki so fair enough. Quite enjoyed my bit of Russian flying however.

EGTK Oxford

they refused prior permission unless we sent them all the airplane docs, noise certificate and insurance. was too much hassle for some reason. plus good reason to fly a bit longer!
upon departing riga though someone came up to me on the ramp and gave me his card saying he could “arrange” overflight easily next time…go figure.

LFLP

I just filed flightplan and went. Didn’t arrange anything in advance. @boscomantico on here has previously suggested that overflight permits are not needed if flying in the Kaliningrad FIR over water but only if flying over land. My route through the FIR was over the Baltic.

Last Edited by JasonC at 19 Apr 03:37
EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

I just filed flightplan and went. Didn’t arrange anything in advance. @boscomantico on here has previously suggested that overflight permits are not needed if flying in the Kaliningrad FIR over water but only if flying over land. My route through the FIR was over the Baltic.

As long as you are outside the territorial waters of Kaliningrad, that makes perfect sense.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

yeah i didn’t want to be flying over those cold waters in an SR22… murphy’s law and all that. so i filed for permission to fly over land and that’s when it got complicated.

LFLP

It’s not and IFR airfield, but Riga Spilve EVRS is a good option to avoid handling. It just has a small fee, about €20 if I recall correctly, and is very close to city-centre with good taxi service. The VAC indicates a route for arrival from EVRA CTR, and it’s only about 5 miles or less from EVRA, so it might not be unusual for people to do an IFR approach to EVRA and then break off to land in EVRS.

LSZK, Switzerland

+1 for Spilve, and they have Avgas which EVRA does not. But it is fairly basic, with microlights landing and taking off from the ramp! (Which is why they require yellow jackets!!). The runway looks rough and heavily repaired, but was smooth enough. The abandoned passenger terminal looks like a scene from Jurassic Park, worth a visit in it’s own right, and the city is lovely as said already.

The EVRA controller comes up on the Spilve frequency, so I guess co-ordinating an approach would not be too difficult, but I flew the VFR entry points.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message