Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Meet-up at Hotel Hertelendy Kastely LHKU - 2-4 September 2016

Posts moved from around here

@JnsV : Thank you very much for your efforts. If the hotel opens only for a few weekends, one can forget about it altogether, though. Really a pitty.

Running a 5 star hotel in the middle of nowhere seemed to be quite daring to me from the beginning, as much as I liked their concept…

Last Edited by blueline at 18 Apr 13:15
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

@blueline or anyone contemplating a trip to Hertelendy Kastély LHKU in Hungary:
In the 2016 summer season they are open for individual guests on May 13-16 and also on June 24-27. The runway is open continuously.

Last Edited by JnsV at 18 Apr 17:26
Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

@JnsV : Thanks, just an hour ago I also received an email from their manager. Wether it’s worth the (considerable!) amount of money to stay alongside a private function in an otherwise closed hotel is another question…

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I never got it. Prices were/are simply too high for my taste.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

blueline wrote:

blueline 18-Apr-16 13:12 #20
@JnsV : Thank you very much for your efforts. If the hotel opens only for a few weekends, one can forget about it altogether, though. Really a pitty.

Running a 5 star hotel in the middle of nowhere seemed to be quite daring to me from the beginning, as much as I liked their concept…

Last Edited by blueline at 18 Apr 13:15

Then I guess they wont be at the Aero this year.

If I remember correctly their fees were quite high 350 Euros a night. That might have something to do with low occupancy. The other was that their runway was grass and short which is one reason I have never booked, even though I loved the concept of a first class hotel with their own landingstrip.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

If I remember correctly their fees were quite high 350 Euros a night.

Depending on the room it is / was 250 – 350 Euros per night per for 2 persons and more often than not for that price you would get a 3-course dinner included. It is not cheap, but not out of the way even in Hungary.

The other was that their runway was grass and short which is one reason I have never booked, even though I loved the concept of a first class hotel with their own landingstrip.

It is grass, but I would not exactly call 800 m short for GA purposes.

Last Edited by JnsV at 20 Apr 10:43
Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Hertelendy Kastely is a great place to visit. Have good and sweet memories of this place. Their service is outstanding and the runway is grass but well maintained.Nice place to go hunting, horseback riding, swimming, dining and from there you could easily visit other places around. After all, your aircraft is parked right there at the hotel.

EDLE, Netherlands

I would not exactly call 800 m short for GA purposes.

The problem with grass is that the takeoff roll is hugely dependent on the grass and on the ground underneath.

I have seen takeoff distances from 350m (which is pretty well the tarmac figure) all the way to about 1000m (a “place” called Heywood Farm in SW UK, 20cm grass ) and I thought I needed new teeth after that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This Hertelendy Kastely grass runway is maintained very well and in very good condition. Of course, if it has been raining for days it might be wet and soppy, but in general I have seen PC12, SR22s and lots of other aircraft landing there. I think this is a special place and let me share some pictures of the place. I remember they had an airshow at the airfield with an orchestra playing along with the airshow so that both would be in sync! Also, they just pulled the glider airplanes up by helicopter to drop them from height. The Hungarian aerobatics pilot performing there as well died later in a crash in the United Arab Emirates during an airshow.

Video of how we were welcomed there:

And here a video of the airshow at the airstrip with glider planes performing up there:

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 20 Apr 10:23
EDLE, Netherlands

blueline wrote:

Wether it’s worth the (considerable!) amount of money to stay alongside a private function in an otherwise closed hotel is another question…

That is the only reason while I am a bit skeptical about booking any of the two weekends. (Actually, only the second one is an option, since for the first one my plane will be grounded for some avionics work.)

But a future EuroGA fly-in it could very well be a nice destination. :-)

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
93 Posts
Sign in to add your message