Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ideas for a warm trip in two weeks

I cannot believe anybody would want to join the € now.

I don't think any of the new assession countries have a choice; it's a requirement of membership of the EU for new members.

Personally I like it. It cuts out a lot of hassle while traveling, and provides access to cheap capital. Of course if politicians don't manage that correctly (like they didn't here) it can lead to disaster, but access to cheap capital is a good thing in itself. It just require some self control ;)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Yes; I suppose if a country goes in at an exchange rate which is REALLY good for its exports then it may be OK.

But that will make it expensive to buy the obligatory 1000000 Porsche Cayennes, so not much chance of a half decent German-funded Mexican party...

Do they get a choice, anyway?

This is getting off topic even by my standards

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If the alternative is that you have to constantly devaluate your currency and thereby remove pressure to improve your economy, then you're right. The Euro contributed to the bubble in Ireland but it's also a reason for its dynamic economy and its recovery. Same is true for the Baltic states. You can ruin your country with Euros and Drachmas, the open markets are a given and people with assets will always try to hold them in the right currency.

I find it to be very convenient to have the Euro, not just for traveling. It is so easy to compare prices and do business cross-border. When I had to deliver quotes in lira and pesetas, I did add a cushion to protect against devaluations. When I had to procure, the offer from Spain had to be a lot better to even consider it. Now Spain, France, Italy, Germany, all the same for me.

I think companies like Pipistrel benefit a lot from the Euro and the common market. Their own economy is not the target market and they source parts from all over. Currencies easily fluctuate 25% and more in a few months (see the Yen right now). Makes a lot of difference for labor intensive products and when you have to borrow capital in your local currency because the local banks is all you have access to.

If the alternative is that you have to constantly devaluate your currency and thereby remove pressure to improve your economy, then you're right.

Germany speaks, watching happily as Ausland companies that were once their competition become their property :-)

Imported Japanese products look pretty good from my point of view.

National stereotypes might be entertaining but are rather useless. Japan is a prime example of a highly appreciated currency and the pressure for competitiveness. The Yen has gained on the dollar dramatically since 2008 and yet Japan has always been a major exporter. Now they're trying desperately to get their currency back to the external value it used to have, thereby taking a lot of risk. Similar things happening in Switzerland.

It's another good example of how separate currencies create problems. Unknown exchange rates are a major business inhibitor, especially for small countries trying to attract foreign investment. There are arguments for both (having a separate currency or joining the Euro) and it's far from a simple thing.

We visited Vrsar last year with 3 Swedish aircraft. Excellent service, a wonderful airstrip bar (parachuting club) serving cheap beer after arrival and just a short taxi ride to the hotel. And a customs service available all day (unbelievable since we were the only visitors).

We are planning to head back this year but are looking for alternatives a bit more south. Hvar looks nice.

And a customs service available all day (unbelievable since we were the only visitors).

What Northern Europe just cannot get its head around is that for "Customs" you need just one police officer... possibly with a PC and internet, so he has something to type the passport number into.

And an airport needs one of those hanging around anyway, otherwise you only have to pay for private security. In a State funded airport, it would be dumb to employ private security and then lose business because you don't offer Customs.

Administrator

What Northern Europe just cannot get its head around is that for "Customs" you need just one police officer... possibly with a PC and internet, so he has something to type the passport number into.

Here we still have loads of customs airports, like my little airstrip. It's 2h PNR (not PPR) and free of charge. Usually nobody shows up unless there is something interesting about you or they're bored or the weather is ideal for leaving the office and taking little trip to the airport. And the officer showing up (occasionally) is indeed a customs officer ("Zoll") doing both immigration and customs. The reason it is still very widespread in Germany is that the majority of pan-European road transports go through Germany which require surveillance.

E.g. Western France has very little of that which is why they're removing customs status. I hope we won't see the same thing in the future here.

On the other hand once Croatia becomes EU (July 2013) and Schengen (2015?), only Switzerland and the UK remain as popular destinations that require a customs airport.

Rumour is that Croatia get a lot of Russian visitors, so they aren't likely to get rid of Customs.

They certainly get a lot of Russians turning up in these

And no, the hi-res version isn't public

Administrator
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message