Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Extended IR navigation flight

That was a nice trip you made as part of the training!

I'm also at the end of the IR training; have the Qualifying Test planned later this week and if all goes well I can do the checkride somewhere soon.

We ended up flying ESMI - EDDH - EHGG - EBAW - ESMI

Did you fly EBAW - ESMI in one leg? I'm asking because I want to fly to Goteborg (ESGP) in the summer to visit some friends. I could make it in one go but I doubt if my girlfriend will cope with staying 4 hours in a small aircraft without a toilet :-)

Yes, we flew EBAW-ESMI in one leg, but we had plenty of tailwind so it took 3:40 in our C172, which is acceptable for me - but I don't think my girlfriend would have approved either :) And ESGP is another hour or so from ESMI.

3:30 is my record with my wife between toilet stops in the aircraft.

EGTK Oxford

And today I passed my IR Skill test! :)

Camrbridge next in 2 weeks, on an IFR flightplan of course.. :)

Congratulations! Well done!

ESSN

Well done. Any tricky moments?

EGTK Oxford

Brilliant - WELL DONE!

The best thing about this is that you will never have to do this ever again in your life

The second best thing is that you can now enjoy relatively simple flying around Europe (and outside), limited only by aircraft performance and weather (and how much money you have ).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you!

Regarding tricky moments, the wind was challenging. Doing procedures for rwy 19 and wind from 240/250 degrees and 30kts - so the first two laps in the NDB Holding wasn't entirely correct, I didn't add enough correction on the outbound leg so I flew past the inbound track - but I noticed it and corrected so no major issue (except for the "crap..." feeling hehe). The descent on the ILS was also a challenge with the VSI going from +200 to -800fpm due to the turbulence below 1500ft or so..

But I guess that with the given conditions the examiner took that into account, compared to a clear sunny day with 4kt winds :)

Peter: Yup, now I just have to do something about the last part :)

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message