Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lido di Venezia - Festa di Sensa

Crossing the Alps to see the Sensa (Ascension Day) festival in Venice.

Uneventful trip across Tyrol and then following the Brenner motorway due to some cu and a copilto resisting going on top.
Everyone along the route found the VFR flight plan ;-)
So only past Trento did the radio turn into real work – Padova Information, Treviso App., Venice App., finally talking to LIPV

Straight routing: LOWI – LIPB – LIDT – VIC – Porto di Malamocco – LIPV

Runway LIPV was OK. Parking area pretty long, needs quite an engine push, particularly when leaving.

No, I did not have premium parking, just to pack, a bit of safety fuel and additional two hours on Sunday prior to departure.

Venice was nice, beaches already warm and the festival – maybe a bit hyped, but interesting (for once)

Return on Sunday at lunchtime before the clouds grew too big. Not a calm trip, but all safe and fast (tailwind of 20kn+ at times)

Fees acceptable at 37 EUR for 1050kg incl. parking Thu-Fri. Avgas is 2,75; not a bargain, but not too bad for a small safety amount…

Coming to LIPV, a taxi to the “center” of Lido di Venezia is 15 EUR. Going back you could take a bus (A) leaving from the Vaporetto terminal at the high street.

The Vaporetto trip to Venice is 7,50 o/w – but you can also buy an unlimited pass for one/two days at 20/30 eur

All in all – still highly recommendable.
Last Edited by ch.ess at 09 May 15:21
EDM_, Germany

Many thanks for a great report, Chess.

We were going to do to the Lido / San Nicolo airport in Sept 2015 but I recommended cancelling it at the last minute because it was discovered that the film festival was on the island, on the relevant dates, and it would have been very crowded. So we went just up the road to Portoroz. But many people dropped out because of the change.

You mentioned you needed a lot of power to taxi. What plane was that in?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looks lovely! Thanks for the report.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

The colorful Robin on the picture. 160hp.*
It was the surprising difference to the grass piste, which let us roll with ease.
And more power than in LOIJ…

If there is another fly.in to LIPV, count me in :-)
Although Portoroz is on my list, too.
And definitely cheaper fuel…

* no, not mine

Last Edited by ch.ess at 09 May 19:43
EDM_, Germany

Very nice trip report. I will surely try to get to LIPV next year.

Last Edited by JnsV at 09 May 20:42
Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message