Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A day trip Oxford to Zurich in a Cessna Mustang C510

Just saw this discussion, it was completely normal and you can in fact be far more positive. The Mustang has a lot of ground effect. To stop quickly you need to get the mains on and spun up so you can use the antilock braking to stop. If you thought that was rough, you should see my bad landings! ;)

EGTK Oxford

The landing was smooth.

With jets (not my area of expertise) the wings are set up to have zero AoA when the nosewheel is on the ground, so you aim to do that ASAP because it gives you directional control, and it dumps all the lift which protects you from gusts lifting you off again.

Light GA planes, obviously taildraggers but tricycle types too, are set up to have some lift with the nose wheel on the ground, so even if you have the nose wheel on the tarmac and a gust comes along, it will lift you off again. I got that at Carcassonne; thankfully nobody got the video

There was a great article on this by Mac McClellan in the US Flyer mag a while ago.

Edit: my post crossed with Jason’s above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looks like a fantastic trip! So jelly!

The Mustangs fuel burn up high is actually really impressive. 480-500lbs/hr up there is TP numbers, but going faster. Also, now that the M2 is taking some sales away from the Mustang, they’ve really become a great deal to buy used. Sub $2M many of them these days. You’d be saving $2,5 million buying this over a TBM and it would burn almost the same per nm.

There’s one for sale in Bournemouth now for only $1.6M, Peter! hint, hint

Mustang for sale

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 18 May 19:07

Peter wrote:

Samsung S7 phone. It’s not too bad

What counts is the man behind the camera ;-)
Fantastic !
I’ll just need to change the numbers on the PFD to dream that I fly a Mustang next time I fly my DA 40 !

Jean
EBST, Belgium

Landing looks good to me too. Holding off for a smooth touchdown is a good way to go off the end of a short runway. Trailing link undercarriage will save you from a multitude of sins (ask me how I know…)

When transitioning to jets, you simply have to forget piston landing techniques. There are times, especially when runway conditions are poor, that you aim for firm touchdowns.

London area

Fantastic. I really enjoyed watching the videos in particular. Thanks for sharing.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Next time I better make sure they are in focus

The problem is that nothing “cheap” these days has a genuine “infinity” setting.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Beautiful machine!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Jason, did you make 850 to 900nm trip with the Mustang ?
What is look like regarding reserve and everything ?
When i do some math on the Flight planning guide it’s look like it’s doable with up to 40kt headwind…

Regards
Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

Hi Romain, with what payload? If you have full fuel it can certainly be done.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message