Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

European Tour Apr / May 2016 - Croatia, Greek Islands and return via Carcassonne

Having a me me me moment….

Peter has kindly put together all the sections of the trip blog, and fed it into a single article which has been placed, naturally enough, in the Articles Section. It may be found here:

http://www.euroga.org/articles/trips/2016-a-greek-odyssey

Thanks for all the kind words and interesting questions relating to the trip – we are already making plans for the next outing.

PG

pg
PG
EGJB

@pg one question out of interest concerning one of the last flights which you diverted to Iraklion.
You were at FL170 already and the SR22 is certified for 17.500ft. Would a Turbo have changed the game for you in continuing the flight to Kerkira with the option to climb to FL250 (plus a significantly higher TAS against the headwind) or didn’t you see any chance to stay on top on this leg?

EDLE

A turbo would have been a game changer for me on other flights, but possibly not this one. The “wall of cloud” we met as we came round our last CB looked like it was going up to the high 30 thousands. And it was a wall.

With that sort of connectivity, I wouldn’t have wanted to stumble into a CB, albeit that with a turbo, I could have negated the risk of icing at least. Perhaps if I’d had an ADL on board and been flying in an area of coverage, I might have considered a (turbo) climb to avoid icing, and then a huge weather avoidance to avoid areas of strikes and the stronger precipitation.

With those two options, I might have pressed on. I’m not dismissing the idea of a turbo as it would certainly have given me not just more flying days, but also nicer flying days on the occasions I did go fly but ended up in cloud the whole way.

Paul

pg
PG
EGJB

Thanks, Paul. I now became aware, that “the view behind” was described but not shown on the picture, which doesn’t look that spectecular in terms of cloud tops. Actually it couldn’t have been a look behind over the panel

Last Edited by europaxs at 03 Jun 10:40
EDLE

This is a great trip report which shows that Greece is easy to fly around if you do the basic homework.

Also what makes it easier is the really friendly people who (in all relevant places) speak good English so possible issues get fixed easily. Whereas in some other bits of Europe, people don’t really want you there and getting around with English can be a real problem.

And the scenery and the food are like nowhere else!

Flying to/around Greece is wonderful

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What a wonderful report – very nice work, thank you.
Now writing from Santorini. Will try a trip report later, but wanted to share the following info:
- LGIO Ionannina has no AVGAS these days. see NOTAM
- Flying into Greece requires a Covid specific procedure (PLF) online. It is easy but strictly enforced upon arrival. I got Covid tested by them.
- Dubrovnik LDDU has massively increased cost: for 1999 Kg MTOW we paid 127 Euros for a mere fuel stop…
- Looking for alternative refuel stops for the way back…

Weather here awesome! Come join us

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Please note that the thread starter is no longer with us. He was involved in a mysterious accident (G-FMKA) in 2017.

Indeed. Very sad. Met him and his wife at one of our fly-ins.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Oh my God! He seemed so on top of his game… sobering…
Back to updates. After spending a few hours scratching my head, I came to the conclusion that the aopa hellas information page could use a graphical presentation.
Once we get home, I intend to offer @petakas and the friendly Greek AOPA a map showing the situation with port of entry, avgas, and ga-compatibility for them to add to their page and keep up to date. This way we‘ll be able to plan our trips without trying to guess what ICAO code is which place and where in the Aegean this is located.
To add a little bit of chili to the planning exercise, Greek CAA are conducting strikes these days- they call them “industrial action”, and it makes flight planning just that little bit more fun!

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Flyingfish wrote:

a map showing the situation with port of entry, avgas, and ga-compatibility for them to add to their page and keep up to date.

This very tool exists, check www.aopa.gr/Info bottom of paragraph 1 where it mentions:

THE TOOL for Flight/Trip planning in Greece in conjunction with this page is our Aero webGIS 2 live data driven map that can be found here www.aopa.gr/awg

Its exactly what you describe, data driven map created by @atmilatos whereby you choose your filters on the top right menu pane (Aerodromes/Heliports layer) and you see dynamically what you choose.
The database in the background is updated by AOPA when something significant changes.

Last Edited by petakas at 20 Oct 10:49
LGMG Megara, Greece
80 Posts
Sign in to add your message