Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Malta Luqa LMML

what_next wrote:

Malta has over 4,500 tourists arrving and departing per day on average.

It would be interesting to know how many tourist rooms (hotel, other) are available on the island.

4’500 per day might tax the island’s accommodation, but it certainly can’t be taxing the airport’s capacity nor can it justify slots. Assuming 100 pax avg per plane (and likely more because hardly a commercial operation to Malta would be less), 4’500 pax per day = 45 arrivals & departures which is less than 4ea/hr (12hr day), or one each every 15’… hardly a heavy load on an international airport.

If the capacity to handle more tourists is the problem, then they should be limiting the commercial flights and encouraging the small GA traffic

LSZK, Switzerland

This thread, has been useful for planning my trip, intend to land at Luqa Saturday 24th, flying VFR piper arrow, Lydd, Cannes, possible stop in Corsica depending on the headwind. If anyone has further advice it would be welcome. On a point of note have been quoted €250 for handling.

Stewart

Lydd EGMD

Enjoy!

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I intend too, at last using the plane the way it’s designed for,

Lydd EGMD

wouldbepilot wrote:

On a point of note have been quoted €250 for handling.

Stewart

Is that price for light (<2T) GA?

KHTO, LHTL

Yes piper arrow3 handling charge.

Had a good flight down, total 9 hours from Lydd one quick stop in LFMD mandelieu for fuel. Roma info insisted we report NIBLO could not find it our database or online since, any ideas? I think it’s on FIR boundary between Roma and Malta.
Really hot this week hoping to get back this weekend.

Lydd EGMD

I am back, enjoyed the trip.
Luqa Malta, PA28r Landing, handling and park for seven days 255 euro.

We landed late on the 24th June and were parked on the opposite side of the airport, on a disused apron, a Marshaller and Malta air rep were waiting and all seemed very efficient, the drive to the terminal was over ten minutes though. There was the Malta air rally on, so parking was at a premium.

My fellow pilot had left his I-Pad in the plane, and my partner was flying in on the 25th so we phoned to check that it would be possible to access the plane while I collected the girlfriend. Not a problem, was the reply. It took just over two hours.

Alarmed that access when leaving might be a problem we asked if we could move the aircraft to the GA apron and refuel once the rally aircraft had left, again not a problem. On the 29th we phoned the airport to check all was ok to move the aircraft, Again it took a an hour and half to get to the aircraft and we ended up taxing at night with a “follow me” van. Fuel we were then informed was not available as the bowser pump had broken, so no refuelling took place. We phoned for the next three days to see if the repair had been done, or if other sources were about, with no joy. On the morning of the planned departure we arrived really early, said that we are leaving today what’s the position with the fuel, they replied that it may be fixed today, we said that we would be leaving the aircraft there and flying out commercial. The handler spoke on his radio and said fuel would be available on another apron. We spent another hour getting to the aircraft, and taxing to apron 8. The bowser turned up and refuelled without any problems, but at the end they were unable to rewind the hose, and had to manually turn the drum to wind the hose in.

ATC were really good, access seems a problem and some of it may have been down to larger numbers of GA aircraft than normal, if we had not requested access to plane and been allowed to park on the GA apron with no fuel issues then perhaps I would not be writing this. I would not fly myself there again, but Valletta is lovely and Malta well worth visiting.

Stewart

Lydd EGMD

Luqa Malta, PA28r Landing, handling and park for seven days 255 euro.

It seems they increased price a little bit comparing to my 175€ last year.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hi everybody!

I am reviving this old thread.

I am planning to go to Malta LMML with a friend’s C177: I am looking to find the email addresses of most of the handling agents in Malta. In the AIP the only correct one is aviaserve.

Could anyone suggest some emails of the best/economical agents in Malta?

thx

Last Edited by lowandslow at 01 Aug 07:44

@lowandslow I’ve flown into Malta many many times, in fact I’m in Malta now :)

I’ve settled on DC Aviation, best price / service combination.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message