Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aosta LIMW

For those who want to train :D

There is a strip in Cervinia!
Obviously C172 is not suitable for Chamois. I think I’ll buy it as I would be able to come unless not so far from Cannes. I’m still struggling to get a plane for more than 3 hours in my club.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 24 Dec 13:49
LFMD, France

Edit: Just spent some time on the sim, waiting for christmas, to make a dry run LFKA to LIMW, 8500ft Qnh max by le petit saint bernard.
Absolutely doable but the relief is not far.

The petit Saint Bernard Pass may require to bounce from one side to the other side to manage visibility where you are going. Don’t wait too much to descend also, LIMW come very fast.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 24 Dec 17:46
LFMD, France

Can anyone recommend an alternate for Aosta, south of the Alps:

• in Italy (FR and CH are closed to Brits)
  • immigration and customs
  • avgas
  • IFR
  • not crazy-priced (say under €100/day)

I know some e.g. Verona do not accept GA at all, beyond a brief parking.

The idea is that one would not fly to Aosta unless the webcams there show it to be all clear, but if it changed during the flight, I’d want to land somewhere and hang out for a day or two and then fly back to Aosta.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Unfortunately, that combination of items does not really exist in Italy. It would be a GA paradise spot, of which there are very few.

Even though quite a distance away, Albenga will tick all these boxes. The IFR approach is more of a cloud-break procedure, but then again, they don’t have any clouds there 320 days a year…
Genoa also works well and has a proper ILS. Unless you book parking as a precaution though, they might want to chase you away max one night (which is what most Italian airline airports do) .

In fact, in winter an IFR alternate in the north Italian plains does not make much sense, as it will be very liable to fog. Bolzano will be another option, although not as weather-safe as Albenga or Genoa.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Jan 08:21
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You might also give southern Germany a chance. EDSB (Baden) or EDTL (Lahr) are next to the border with France, or EDNY (Friederichshafen) close to the Swiss border. It’s quite a deviation, but you could continue from there to Italy without needing customs/immigration to any Italian aerodrome. All three mentioned airports are reasonably priced, and cover all your other requirements (except being in Italy).

Last Edited by Frans at 03 Jan 08:55
Switzerland

I would suggest to open discussion with Torino operations so that they can handle this as weather alternate for the fly-in and possibily negociate some conditions?

Last Edited by greg_mp at 03 Jan 08:58
LFMD, France

Germany is closed to Brits.

I could just fly on to say Pula… or Mali Losinj unless already closed.

There was an Italian guy in the Aosta fly-in telegram group who said there were loads of suitable airports in N Italy, but the ones I checked didn’t meet the requirements, so I wondered what I was doing wrong

I suppose the IAP is optional – if you can have several alternates.

Yes indeed N Italy gets a lot of fog. On most of my airline ski trips, the plane landed CAT3.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

greg_mp wrote:

Don’t wait too much to descend also, LIMW come very fast.

Went to LIMW yesterday to get fuel. We crossed the ridge between France and Italy around 12000ft. Then we went directly into runway 09 but this did require a very steep descent at over 3000fpm to finally get into a normal approach slope.

Quite some glider activity at Aosta yesterday and helicopter traffic. The rich an famous seem to fly to Milano and then continue by helicopter up the Aosta valley to the French ski resorts.

The Aosta valley down low did not look much like winter. The airport is actually quite low.

Peter wrote:

Germany is closed to Brits.

How about Switzerland? You have quite some airport choices and it is not far away.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I will suggest also Cuneo LIMZ that should cover all requirements.
I asked to one of my colleague IR instructors concerning prices, and his answer is, as far as he remembers:
+/- 20€
Cuneo: ca. 120€
Caselle: ca. 180€
Bergamo: ca. 110€
Brescia: ca. 50€
Lugano: ca. 100€
Concerning fog, it is sometime present just in Po valley, and rather predictable.
From the 6-th to the 17-th, for example, only ☀️ is present on Bergamo forecast.

Antonio
LSZA - LILV, Italy

AntonioD wrote:

From the 6-th to the 17-th, for example, only ☀️ is present on Bergamo forecast.

I’m flying to Bergamo LIME on 7th and the weather is supposed to be ok – no fog is forecasted although it’s a bit too early to be sure. Also the forecast for Aosta seems to be pretty good in following days. We’ll see in following days if it’s going to stay like that… I’ll file LIMF and LIMZ as alternates for LIMW fly-in but only as alternates “just in case” i.e. if weather at LIMW is not CAVOK there’s no point in going there it would be against the rule #1 of EuroGA fly-ins

Last Edited by Emir at 03 Jan 18:52
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message