Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aosta LIMW

Off topic, but my friend Stefan crashed on his way to Albertville to get a local instructor signoff there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

T28 wrote:

Actually it should be “publishes” because you have to pay for it. You can see the route forecast in Skydemon, or behind the paywall at Skybriefing.com.

lionel wrote:

flugwetter.de also has those.

And there is yet even a free alternative to get weather charts for the Alps: www.flug-wetter.at. You only need to send a digital copy of your pilot license to Austro Control and they will create a free account for their weather forecast portal. It takes just one working day.

Last Edited by Frans at 01 Oct 20:27
Switzerland

Charlie wrote:

Does a CRI count as an instructor? I would assume so?

I don’t see why not? in the extreme one can teach for the full MOU rating as Mountain Instructor (MI) with CRI & TRI tickets, he does not have to be an FI

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Oct 13:00
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I climbed east to FL105 (about the highest I can reasonably get in a C182

Thank you for the trip details @Charlie. Was it a high ISA plus day? One might expect a NA 182 to be reasonable in the climb, say 400 fpm, up to FL120, and might need some coaxing to get to FL140. Agree a warm humid summer day will mean above FL100 ROC would be around 250 fpm. Best power lean mixture would apply.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

No it wasn’t – from memory it was almost exactly ISA. I got a bit better than that for the first 6-7k feet but also full of fuel which didn’t help.

There’s no issue climbing above the airfield in loops down the valley – and easily done. It’s very wide.

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

What would be a good alternate for Aosta, in case it is found to be overcast?

Obviously there is a number of them in SE France but what about getting similar weather? Also I would much prefer one with a setup where everything can be done airside, due to CV19 issues with returning to the UK from France, so I can claim I never entered France.

Administrator

I would have said LFLS but they have PPR for customs and unable to be an IFR alternate per notam.

LFOU, France

Aosta seems to be overhauling all the navaids

B5269/20
*+
INSTRUMENT LANDING SYSTEM (ILS) RWY27 UNSERVICEABLE
REF AIP AD 2 LIMW 1-7

B5270/20
*+
AOSTA VOR/DME ‘SCS’ FREQ 109.25MHZ CH 29Y UNSERVICEABLE
REF AIP AD 2 LIMW 1-8

B5271/20
*+
COMAGNE NDB ‘SVC’ FREQ 418.00KHZ UNSERVICEABLE
REF AIP AD 2 LIMW 1-8

I might go for Annecy…

Administrator

What about Sion (LSGS) ? The weather in Valais is often better than in the Aosta valley, due its “inner alpine” location, so there is a quite high chance that you could find a big gap above the Swiss Rhone valley. Sion has immigration and customs during opening hours. Fuel 100LL and 91UL are also available, no PPR, and landing fees are for Switzerland low. Direct IFR-approaches into Sion requires an official familiarization though, but depending on how high/low the cloud base is, you could do a cloud break outside the mountains and continue VFR down the Rhone valley via Martigny.

Another idea would be Geneva (LSGG), but that could get quite expensive or continue down inside Italy to Torino or Milano, but you need to check if PPR is required for alternates and the (high) fees.

Last Edited by Frans at 15 Oct 09:19
Switzerland

I wouldnt fly the IFR approach into Sion unless you have balls of steel and an aircraft that can climb at 1,5000 fpm through icing layers in case you have to go missed. I have been flying there for 15 years now and never once flown an instrument approach.

But it is almost always possible to get in there VFR, either down a hole in the valley itself, or descend over Lac Leman/Geneva, visually or on the Geneva ILS, then up the lake and along the valley under cloud layer.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message