Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aosta LIMW

I am doing an email mailshot on this fly-in, today, to everyone who has permitted emails in their profile.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,
since I spend every weekend in Courmayeur I can offer my help both for the logistics and for the Alpi crossing, being also a flight instructor working in this environment (Lugano).
I’ll be glad to participate, even in a fly-by-car-in mode…
For the first topic, when have you planned to come? I recommend not after the end of January, after the crowd will increase considerably.
And why not come to Courmayeur after Aosta? It will take 20 min of straight motorway to come there, instead of 1h of mountain streets to go to Cervinia. And in Courmayeur I can try to arrange accommodations if needed and restaurant.

As for a safe Alpi crossing, in my opinion is easily feasible even in a non-CAVOK conditions at 9.500ft, with wind below 10 kn, to cross with no problems all the various passages I’ll describe shortly. If you can get more obviously better, >10k you can cross almost in a straight line from almost anywhere just avoiding some easily recognizable peaks as Cervino (Matterhorn), Monte Rosa or Mont Blanc…
No needs to say that the required altitude must be obtained well before reaching the passages, altought in wintertime performances shouldn’t be an issue.

From East, counterclockwise:
Coming from Switzerland/Martigny:
1) Gran San Bernardo (green): around 9500ft you have to follow the canyon, challenging, above 10k no problems, but it will drop you directly above Aosta
2) Col Ferret (fuchsia): 9000/9500 is enough, you’ll follow the val Ferret in Italy with still 2km of impressive cliffs and rocks on your right above you, Mont Blanc chain, but almost free on your left and quite room for maneuver into the valley: pretty impressive!
Coming from France:
3) Col de Seigne (Light blue): following the Val Veny and exactly as for n. 2 reversing left with right
4) Piccolo San Bernardo (Blue): probably the easiest, 8.000 ft are enough, but less scenic than the pair 2-3, my favorites.

Ciao
Antonio

Last Edited by AntonioD at 19 Dec 19:12
Antonio
LSZA - LILV, Italy

Many thanks for your input, Antonio.

We have a Telegram group for this fly-in: joining link is https://t.me/+Q6kQvDNXwtZhNGE0

We use this to coordinate fly-ins because it is much more “immediate” than posting in the forum.

Provisionally it is mid Jan and yes very true that the slopes and everything else fill up later in January. Although, I’ve just got back from Cervinia and I reckon the volumes were 50% down on pre-virus times.

The telegram group is picking up interest, with 24 people already today

Administrator

Thank you, Antonio – that’s very helpful.

EGTF, United Kingdom

Does anyone know what this means?

My writeup from a year ago (search for “IGS”) shows there used to be a procedure, but was it ever operational?

Administrator

AIP:

NOTAM:

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Dec 19:42
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Interesting – thanks.

So they

• implemented a glideslope (IGS became ILS)
  • withdrew the plate from Jeppesen and AIP publication
  • notamed the procedure INOP

And

B7961/21
*+
AOSTA VOR/DME ‘SCS’ FREQ 109.25MHZ CH 29Y UNSERVICEABLE
REF AIP AD 2 LIMW 1-8

The VOR/DME is INOP also, so nobody can fly this top secret procedure, not even the authorised operators

Administrator

assuming you lift your eyes from your hypnotic panel, and look towards the South, you might see what we saw yesterday, namely the peak of the Gran Paradiso mountain, 13’323ft
Further in the distance, pointy Monte Viso at 12’602ft, right on the French-Italian border.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Stunning picture !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Yes indeed; a technically outstanding photo.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message