Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zika Virus Italy (merged)

Has anybody qualified news regarding the following ENAC (ITALY) circular ?

“With regard to the Zika Virus infections ENAC informs all carriers of the following:
Regardless of the origin of the flight, aircrafts arriving to domestic airports must hold on board the certificate of residual disinsecting according to the ICAO Annex 9 and the provisions of ENAC Circular EAL 10 dated 21.9.2012.”

See here

Apparently this applies to general aviation too (as usual in the messiness of the Italian regulation).. The idea is not to discuss here whether the content of the circular makes sense or not (clearly does not and should have been applied only to a/c capable of connecting different continent in few hours), rather to know if somebody has more info on this.

The disinsectation apparently is a procedure that covers the a/c up to 2 months (no idea what type of toxic products they spray in the a/c).

Looking forward to more news!
Teo

Teo
LSZE, LSZR, LSZH, Switzerland

Yes, I understand this to be true and applicable for all aircraft arriving in Italy.
If one can’t prove treatment completion, they will carry out the spray coating for you at a cost of about €500.00.
Not sure if I would want to have have this coating applied to my aircraft’s interior.

Is it applicable to all aircraft arriving in Italy? The circular says “from affected areas”.

“Imported goods that may be considered risky with regard to infected mosquitoes (such as tyres, flowers, ornamental plants, logs of exotic wood) either must travel with certifications attesting the successful disinfestations before they were dispatched from the affected areas, or they have to be subject, at the importers’ expenses, to an appropriate disinsecting treatment with insecticides at residual action in airport.”

So that says to me that regardless of the origin of the flight, if you are importing anything of risk that started in an affected area then you need the disinfection. But not if you are not.

Last Edited by italianjon at 20 Mar 00:25
EDHS, Germany

Well, UK is not an affected area. Treatment is still required though.

When we fly commercial to Jamacia. They come around with a can of raid and spray the cabin. I think its just to satisfy the regulators. No way that can of Raid could be effective before they open those doors.

Besides I think they should bring back DDT as one of the most potent mosquito killers.

KHTO, LHTL

The stuff that is required for treatment is not comparable to a can of insect spray.
This stuff is designed to leave a layer of “protection” all over the interior.
Not sure I would want that in my my aircraft and I am not so sure a Citation Jet owner would think any different either.
If you have children on board, you might want to ensure they don’t touch anything inside your “protected” aircraft.
Not sure what that poison does to the human organism.
They might grow a third ear, but that’s OK. At least the mosquito is dead…

Last Edited by complex-pilot at 20 Mar 13:54

complex-pilot wrote:

UK is not an affected area. Treatment is still required though.

Have you seen that in writing? Or were you told by some jobsworth who wasn’t sure and preferred to err on the safe side?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I have a hard time believing that they would enforce this for a C172 or the like arriving for instance from France. They must be clever enough to realize that applying this rule to such a flight and not care about the hundreds of thousands of cars entering Italy is pure lunacy.
This must clearly be meant for airliners. And even then I don’t think they’d have the intention (or the manpower) to check each and every of them so they will probably just profile flights from certains countries. Should I go to Italy I am not going to treat my aircraft.

Last Edited by aart at 20 Mar 20:17
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

“Italy is the latest country to require aircraft to be treated with pesticide to guard against the spread of insect-borne diseases such as the Zika virus. With other countries likely to introduce similar requirements,”

The smaller airfields in Italy may not yet have caught up with the news.
I think 2 weeks in Blackpool this summer sounds quite attractive.

Last Edited by complex-pilot at 20 Mar 23:20

Quote from NBAA, 16.02.16
“Italy had originally limited the certificate requirement to aircraft arriving from Zika-affected countries, but within 36 hours that changed” to all countries, said Everington.”
Quote from WHO, 12.02.16
“Nevertheless, in recent days a few countries (UK, Italy, China, e.g.) are implementing different requirements for aircraft operators. Those will entail various disinsection procedures. Italy, for example is requiring the use of residual disinsection for every aircraft coming from any area, not only Zika affected ones. Other countries like Russia and Costa Rica are implementing passenger surveillance measures.”

Seems Italy has changed its position only fairly recently, but other countries may follow as the warmer climate sets in.

64 Posts
Sign in to add your message