Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zika Virus Italy (merged)

Bolzano LIPB did not enforce disinsectation early April.
Any other experiences recently ?

(planning a trip soon)

EDM_, Germany

4 weeks ago Bolognia nothing
2 weeks ago Rimini nothing
2 days ago Milano Bresso nothing

fly2000

chflyer wrote:

On another line, there a couple forums indicating an Italian Health office requirement for a “Certificate of Disensection” (sic) for any flights arriving from outside Italy including from the EU and GA flights. Has anyone on this forum direct experience with that? It is apparently related to the current Zika virus media frenzy

He here an answer from the handler in Catania a friend has received:
Please be informed as follows about ZIKA VIRUS:

“We kindly inform you that until further notice, all aircrafts operating into Italy, regardless of the origin of the flight must have on board a valid “Certificate of residual Disinsection” (as indicated in the attached notifications) and shown should there be an inspection.

Disinsection must be performed according to W.H.O. and ICAO annex 9 procedure, with regular certificate; therefore, the treatment with apposite spray executed on board by crew and a self-completed certification form will not be accepted.

The Certificate of Residual Disinsection issued by Italian Health department is valid for 8 weeks. We kindly inform you that in case of need we can provide this service at LICC, with a previous notice of at least 5 hours before ETA”

LSGL

Paolo,
I Fly a lot in Italy, 90% of the airport don’t ask ask about disinsection for the GA Planes. I know for sure it’s asked by milano linate (LIML), Bergamo (LIPE) and Roma Ciampino (LIRA).

WellsA
LSZA

Paolo wrote:

“We kindly inform you that until further notice, all aircrafts operating into Italy, regardless of the origin of the flight must have on board a valid “Certificate of residual Disinsection” (as indicated in the attached notifications) and shown should there be an inspection. […]"

Very sad to read such a statement. How do they handle an Italy-Italy flight? Spray the whole GA fleet?

Frequent travels around Europe

Hi all,
Returning from Luqa to Salerno document check. Zika virus certificate check. Certificate required!!!
Maybe because we are G reg?

Fenland172 wrote:

Maybe because we are G reg?

No. This is required for every aircraft flying to Italy. No matter where it is registered nor where it comes from.

Last Edited by what_next at 27 Jun 12:22
EDDS - Stuttgart

How do you get this certificate?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How do you get this certificate?

There seem to be several ways. The most expensive is to fly to Italy without one. If they care at all (which seems to depend on the airport/airfield) they can either deny you and your passengers from disembarking at their airport or they will send an exterminator of their choice who will spray your aeroplane. I have heard that people were charged up to 500 Euros for this service.

The second most expensive but least risky option is to have an exterminator of your choice spray your aircraft at home. This is what my company currently does. The guy charges between 100 and 200 Euros per aircraft depending on cabin volume and one treatment lasts for 2 months.

Another variant can be found on internet forums where pilots bought their own insecticide and sprayed their aircraft with it before the flight. Upon arrival in Italy they show the empty can to the official who inspects them. This might work in some places, but I doubt that it will make much impression in Milano Linate or Venice Tessera. It’s a bit of a gamble.

Last Edited by what_next at 27 Jun 13:42
EDDS - Stuttgart

Is there a NOTAM or another notification that this is required in Italy?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message