Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zika Virus Italy (merged)

Peter,

We took AOPA Italy advice and had aircraft treated in the UK. We used up&away aviation who did 2 aircraft together. £150 each. On my trip to Malta landed Bolzano, Venice lido, and Salerno with not a mention of Zika or a certificate. Homeward bound to Salerno and now certificate required. Guess it’s depends which side of bed the administrator gets out of in morning or it’s because we have been further south! It’s Italy so who knows. I

Vladimir wrote:

Is there a NOTAM or another notification that this is required in Italy?

There are specific NOTAMS for some airports, but most importantly, there is this unspecific document on the website of the Italian aviation authority:
http://www.enac.gov.it/repository/ContentManagement/information/N589514259/Zika_virus_infections%2dReminder_to_Air_Carriers.pdf

Zika_virus_infections_Reminder_to_Air_Carriers_pdf

EDDS - Stuttgart

That makes planning a GA flight to Italy even more “interesting” and full of surprises.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

can a private flight be considered an air carrier? How stupid is this? Enforceable only for flights departing from outside Schengen needing an airport of entry. A flight departing from Germany or France can land at any little airfield no questions asked while a flight from the UK or Switzerland might be at risk of an overzealous but ignorant clerk. Ridiculous.

LSZH

I was always criticised on forums etc when I wrote something critical about the way stuff is sometimes done in Italy, but I still get no pleasure reading reports of much worse stuff from other (or sometimes the same) people. Italy is a nice place to fly to but I am damned if I would fly there with this going on. Do I want my plane to be sprayed inside with disinfectant? It’s going to soak into the fabric or leather… and probably come out when you are at a high altitude.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, I am Italian and I am allowed to criticise Italy you may not

LSZH

Peter wrote:

It’s going to soak into the fabric or leather

Not only. In “my” aircraft it covered all the screens in the cockpit with an opaque layer of poisonous stuff. I cleaned it off as good as possible with warm water and a towel, but there is still some residue left. And I don’t like the idea that whatever I touch inside the aircraft will leave poison on my hands. The exterminator who applied the stuff wore a full body suit with a breathing apparatus – and certainly for a good reason. Privately I would certainly not fly to Italy before this madness is over.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Amazing – seems to be totally random (until someone can explain a pattern to me).
So far this year: Bolzano, Verona Boscomantico, Elba, Lido di Venezia, Rimini… no mention of any certificate.

I would also prefer not to have some questionable insectizide inside a small cabin…

Has anyone spotted some rationale behind this ?

EDM_, Germany

As Schengen mosquitoes obviously cannot transmit the Zika vrus, the solution to the world health threat is enlargement of the area to South and Central America.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I wonder who is allowed to perform the spraying and issue the certificates, and what they look like…

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message