Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to Helgoland Island, EDXH

trip to Helgoland, EDXH
This writeup describes a trip to isle of Helgoland , EDXH.
Helgoland is the one and only Germany’s deep-water Island.
It s located approx 30NM north of the shoreline so lifevests ( mandatory)and dinghi were onboard.
Till 1890 Helgoland was the part of the British Empire and in a contract it was given to germany while Germany gave up its activities in Sansibar.
After WW2 Helgoland was used by the Royal airforce for Targetted bombing training by acft so the inhabitants returend in the early 1950 to Helgoland.
This explains “charming” but in my eyes ugly architecture because Helogland was rebuilt quickly and with less financial resources as it was usual after WW2.
So what makes the charme of Helgoland?
For those ones who fly to there its the small airport with its 3 RWY’s, the longest is 480m plus 30m Overun.Fortunately there are in fact no real obstacles .
for non-pilots there is a shuttle srved by a small company by using twin-engine 8 seater " Norman britten oslander"
Helgoland is in fact divided in 2 islands which were splitted in the 17 century by a huge storm.
The airfield is located on the very small island called “Düne” ( Dune)
There is only a Campingfield ,2 Restaurants ( one at the airfield) ,some woodenhouses for renting and bigger families of seals. Two beaches , nice white sand …..
And silence , except airplane’s noise ;-)
You can get to the “main island” by ferryboat.
There are plenty of daily visitors every day , coming by vessle from Hamburg etc.
they are using the shopping benefit of Tax – and vat free shopping, so,esp. Cigaretts, Alcohol and parfume.
Accomodation:
there are different types of rooms and guesthouses available via www.helgoland.de.
we decided for the tent on the campingarea close to the airfield.
Facilities are moden and clean, two nights costs 41,00€ for a two-petson tent.
quite expensive but avgas is cheaper , we paied 1,75€ per Liter but the limitation is often the RWY-lenght, means takeoff distance.And you must confirm some days before by phone the availability.
In the afternoons when the daily tourists leave the island, the silence and charme is more visible and for those who likes watching and oberserving the birds and the seals – its a paradise then and in the evenings it can happen that you are the only one at the beach.
during our trip we had a TV-Team onboard and they posted on youtube this clip from the trip

Flight conduction was in a way standard, Y-Plan from Dortmund , FL 120, when EDXH was in sight we cancelled IFR in 3500 ft and called Helgoland-Info for Landing infos.
Due to X-wind and no traffic free choice of RWY so I decided for RWY 33 which has no obstacles but in front of threshold only rocks and water.
the TWR was – naturally for this type of airfield – not informed about our flightplan so we asked him to close it by phone and he did so.

I will add later some pics, too

Last Edited by at 01 Jul 16:10
EDLW, Dortmund,Germany

Thanks. I’d add: they do have customs/immigration . Plus hard parking. Officially no English though.

And once again, here’s how to not do it:

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

some more pics from Helgoland trip…

EDLW, Dortmund,Germany

Super writeup – Goaround, and thank you for posting it.

I flew over Helgoland last year and definitely want to visit sometime.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the writeup, funny coincidence, I think I saw your aircraft on Stockholm/Bromma the other day just next to a D-reg Bonanza. I hope you had a great trip to Visby/Gotland. :) (unless I am mistaken)

ESSZ, Sweden

yep, nice write-up, thanks.
EDXH Helgoland is one of my all time favourite. Exotic, wild, challenging, friendly

Made a quick visit there again last Friday, quite an easy (the weather was very cooperative) flight outta LSZF, close to Zürich.
Flight report 2:57h@139kt and 3:05@141kt on the way back. Choose to avoid FRA to West on the way “up”, and to the East on the way “down”, hence the slightly longer flight time. Those are, by the way, flown in “Eco” mode, e.g. 19"/2000RPM, flying almost on Carson’s speed and burning 21lt/h. I could easily fly say at 150 or 160TAS, at the expense of doubling the consumption and diminishing my pleasure… yes, I’m happy in the blue yonder
Again a wonderful experience there, light southerly had me land on the longest of the 3 runways available, 15 with 480m. The shortest of them, with 258m, is mostly used in strong westerlies.
Refuelled to full capacity since tax free Avgas was priced at €1.65. I’ll try to glide in with empty tanks next time I’ll go (don’t u try this at home ). The landing fee of only €11.00 is complemented by a great service of the airfield’s staff, thanks.

The plate of shrimps with fries tasted good. A stroll around the island and watching 2 colonies of seals, completed the visit. I sure will be back 👍🏻

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Thanks for the write up, I have it now pinned 1st on the list

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Nice write-ups both. The first one reminded me to a sad fact for how many years OP (Stephan – Goaround) is not with us :(

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes; almost 5 years ago.

Great guy. I hung out with Stefan in Germany for a few days, that summer…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I had Helgoland and Sylt on my list for quite a while, and I finally got the right weather on the right day at the beginning of September.
Flew from Lelystad to Sylt and, on the way back, stopped at Helgoland. Very special island with beautiful approach.

Perfect day, great trip and nice “me time” :)

Last Edited by NicoKM at 16 Oct 15:27
EHLE LIMB, Netherlands
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message