Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oban EGEO 14 August 2016

Is anyone interested at meeting up there?

I have not done a lot of Scotland – Aberdeen a while ago…

Airport website

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There’s a fly-in at Sollas on 27-28 August, delayed this year because the usual midsummer date clashed with the Peking to Paris rally.

There’s also an RV day at Glenforsa on the 28th.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Oban/Glenforsa would be a good one.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Too bad I’m going the opposite direction on the August bank holiday (expecting to go to Spanhoe) but if it’s not that weekend, well, Oban’s a nice day trip from here.

Andreas IOM

If I go, it is not going to be the 19-21 August weekend.

Also it’s not clear (I am planning to go with a passenger) if I would stay overnight.

My family stayed near Oban in 1969, when we originally came to the UK, before settling on the south coast. It will be fun to see it. I just googled the location and hilariously it is now a yoga retreat – how fashionable! That is actually some way from Oban…

Administrator

The Eco Yoga Centre looks, from Oban, four days by camel, and a mule trek at the end……..better by helicopter

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Barra airport EGPR (is also a short flight from Oban, and landing there is good fun! (At least it was for me!))

It’s just lovely up there….I got stuck there because of three days of low cloud after I flew in in June 2014. It was a delightful place to get stuck -great food and walks and at least two really good hotels. Just an ideal place to chill. I can see why yoga classes have taken hold

My arrival was fun too – an interesting circuit…with a non-small hill at one end.

One of the chaps up there old me that back in the good old days of GA, many private pilots would fly up from London on a Friday afternoon and fly back over the weekend. It doesn’t happen so much these days it seems.

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

I was planning to go to Oban with my wife this weekend (Fri-Mon) but the current forecast is not best for NW Scotland. It’s currently flyable, but my wife prefers to look outside :) We’ll probably be heading to France instead, maybe to Colmar which has a wine festival at the moment. I’ll try again for the Flyer fly-in in September – sans wife (who doesn’t like aviation talk).

Glenforsa is one of my favourite weekend destinations, but challenging when the wind is southerly (as forecast this weekend) as the winds are coming over the hills. The hotel website (with webcam) is here. They have 3 windsocks on the airfield but they seldom agree on the wind direction!

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

I am not sure this coming weekend’s wx is bad. It’s much too early to tell.

If you put 10 forecasters in a room, that trough would be drawn in 10 different places

But we can absolutely bet that picture will be different by Saturday.

Administrator
60 Posts
Sign in to add your message