Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to Vienna (LOAV) via Switzerland questions

I’m planning a trip to Vöslau (LOAV) this weekend.

Coming from France my intention is to refuel at Memmingen (EDJA) following some hints of forum members here as it was mentioned to be a good alternate for EDNY. I found this routing via Switzerland:

GAI G5 MEN G53 AMIKO DCT ARBON DCT ARKOX DCT BELUS B16 PAS G5 WIL T125 ZUE Z163 NUNRI Z6 ALOXO

but I’m asking myself if swiss ATC will keep me at FL090 (no portable oxygen on board). Other pilots reported being requested to climb to FL140 all throughout Switzerland. Does anybody have some experience about that?

Is there anything else to care about the LOAV approach (IFR to VFR)?

France

This is not answering your Q but really it is worth looking at oxygen – because FL90/100 places you right into freezing IMC in much of Europe much of the time.

Once you have an IR, CAS disappears (de facto, most scenarios) so you can make VMC on top the objective. It is VFR pilots who spend the most time in IMC

A pilot from my base killed himself in a Jetprop (N403HP) at LOAV some years ago, apparently arriving VFR and IMHO flying a circuit for the benefit of Vienna radar up the road, in IMC… Otherwise, the approach appears to be OK so long as it is flown as published.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This is not answering your Q but really it is worth looking at oxygen

I ordered the Mountain High kit last week. A little bit late for this trip.

Do you have any experience with swiss ATC as I mentioned?

France

I do not recall any unusual altitude requests in Switzerland.

When I used to fly VFR they would not let me into the Class C (base FL130) so I used to cross the Alps at FL129

This may also be interesting, for amusement…

We have many Swiss pilots here so someone will be along soon if they have come across this issue.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Depending on individual budget, it might (not) be a point, but AVGAS is
In EDJA 2.37 eur/l
In LOIH 1.90 eur/l
Landing fee in LOIH not much IIRC.

EDM_, Germany

Highest MEA for the Swiss part of that route should be FL090 so you should be fine.

LFLP

ch.ess wrote:

Landing fee in LOIH not much IIRC

Nice idea! I haven’t thought of this and I will keep it as a field to consider. It is quite on my direct track

pashab wrote:

Highest MEA for the Swiss part of that route should be FL090 so you should be fine.

Thanks.

France
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message