Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

I’m planning a trip to Madonna di Campiglio on Saturday. Weather in the valley for LIDT looks uncertain. Last year we landed at Verona LIPX, but this time there is no parking. Would like to ask about any experiences with Brescia LIPO. Pricing, handling, waiting times, etc. Didn’t find anything on the forum. Wiki says they lost Ryanair and no commercial traffic there.

LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

Would like to ask about any experiences with Brescia LIPO.

I’ve never been there but AIP claims customs & immigration H24 and Jet-A1 available which is consistent with information on their web site. Contacts in AIP are a bit different than the ones on the web (some are the same) but I guess you can find a working one and check the prices:

https://www.aeroportobrescia.it/area-aziende-aeroporto-catullo-spa/route-development/general-aviation.html

I would expect same pricing as Verona or Bergamo or Treviso.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hi there,

so many points to pick up on…

CERVINIA

Biella: GA-only airport. I haven’t landed there for ages. Recent reports indicate it’s generally friendly and OK. It also doesn’t suffer from winter fog quite as much as Milan, Turin, etc., as it is located in the foothills of the Alps. Closed on Mondays. No idea about hangarage for visitors. No rental cars on site. A long way to Cervinia. The biggest “problem”: customs/Immigration is PNR, but they charge a lot of money for that alone, almost 100€ per case. Similar with Padova, Parma, etc. In Italy, generally, it is recommended to use airports with permanent customs/Immigration. Problem: most of these are airline airports, with expensive handling. etc.

Aosta: have been there this summer. A decent GA-only airport, with acceptable fees, even for flights requring customs or immigration. Good infrastructure. And: rental cars (Europcar) directly on-site!. Generally a bit slow and bureaucratic for what is a GA-only airport. Fuelling takes time, but Avgas (BP) is decently priced at 2,10€. No idea about hangarage availability for visitors.

Both Turin (LIMF) and Milan (LIML) will work as alternates for that. Avgas available. But both are very expensive.

MADONNA:

Brescia: a very fresh pirep on eddh.de. Not really cheap and again, a bit bureaucratic. No airline service and therefore, AFAIK, no rental cars on site! Otherwise, it works. As always: PPR (i.e. preadvise them). Even if you can get hold of a car: a long track to Madonna through the mountains west of Lake Garda, or otherwise, take the long way round via Verona and Trento.

Anyway, for this coming Saturday, I can’t see any major problems for getting into Trento. A bit more cloudy than on the other days, but nothing else.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Jan 13:06
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A couple of years ago I was in the Megeve area and saw a field that has not been mentioned here – Sallanches LFHZ

Tarmac; very convenient for the slopes and there seems to be car rental nearby – only downside seems that there is no Customs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sallanches was on the verge of closing a year or so ago, but has for now been saved. The aerodrome is now operated by the town‘s mairie.

For who is interested and French-speaking:

http://www.pilotes-prives.fr/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24633

Strictly put, the airfield requires a checkout/signoff by an FI.

The runways have been shortened quite a lot. Also, there is very very little parking.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Jan 18:14
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Wx for next week indeed doesn’t look great but I never found a site which produces meaningful forecasts for the mountain valleys. For example j2ski produces forecasts which are almost totally random, except for the next 24-48hrs. I’ve been watching it for 3-4 years now. Other ski sites produce different forecasts to j2ski but also totally random

I got totally snowed out (or OVC000/10m or less if not actually snowing heavily) in Madonna in December and probably will do only short notice bookings from now on. And if going GA, that’s the only option anyway unless you have a TP or a jet, but nobody wants to ski in crap wx.

I am still planning to fly to ski in February, with a colleague from work. Not sure where to. This winter I will have already done Madonna and Cervinia. Both outstanding for what is probably called “intermediate”. Has been pretty cold at times: -25C at the top. I’ve managed to knock off a few videos from Cervinia: https://vimeo.com/user8026275/videos.

The next place I was going to do (airline or GA) was Tignes, which seems to be highly recommended. Not checked out the GA option yet… any great ideas?

Administrator

Albertville for Tignes & Val d’Isere? VFR-only field but 800m of tarmac.

Otherwise probably Grenoble-Isere for a full-service offering, which seems useable. Chambery Aix-Les-Bains is the closest IFR field, but has silly charges in winter I believe.

EGLM & EGTN

Albertville needs a special signoff, I think.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Albertville needs a special signoff, I think.

That is correct. According to the local flying club’s website, the latest regulation for the use of the field is the ’ Arrêté du 11 septembre 2014 modifiant l’arrêté du 16 juillet 2004 portant agrément à usage restreint de l’aérodrome d’Albertville (Savoie)’ which stipulates that the use of the airfield is authorized for the pilots who have been recognized to be capable by an instructor or have a mountain qualification (in French: ’L’activité des avions et des planeurs est autorisée sur l’aérodrome pour les pilotes ayant été reconnus aptes par un instructeur ou détenant la qualification montagne’).

You just need to find an instructor who is willing to sign you off :-) The text only says ‘instructor’, so anyone who is an instructor according to the French legislation can sign you off (that’s only the theory, in practice, I guess most will refuse since if probably also engage their responsibility in case of accident).

Fly safe!

ENVA, Norway
Sign in to add your message