Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Graham wrote:

Otherwise probably Grenoble-Isere for a full-service offering, which seems useable.

Yes, coming from the northwest, if one wants to go to the French Alps, and

a) discards the small airfields for lack of services and/or general operational limitations, and
b) discards the bigger ones right in the mountains (either for weather concerns or because of seasonal parking limitations / fees),

then LFLS is pretty much the (only) one to go to.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

There are a number of bus companies going from LFLL direct to different ski places in the french Alps. There’s been quite a push and marketing for people to fly to the Alps through Lyon this winter season. Should you choose this I’d fly to LFLY (which is a full service IFR GA airport where the main wx risk is fog), and take an Uber across to LFLL to jump on one.
LFLS is closer but quite dead, you can rent a car though, or grab a bus to Grenoble.
The winter surcharge at LFLB is super-minor (+5%) for the landing fee (base 5€ <2t), but doubles the parking fee (0.36 → 0.72€/t/h) (unless you manage to negociate a long term parking)
Next would be Annecy LFLP but with only GNSS approaches.

Peter wrote:

The next place I was going to do (airline or GA) was Tignes, which seems to be highly recommended
Tignes is great in many respects, but I’m not sure it matches the blue/light reds target.
ESMK, Sweden

The problem with ski buses (also called ski shuttle buses) is that they nearly always run only on weekends – because nearly all skiers who travel a long way are there for the whole week.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s not quite true. We flew (commercially) to Innsbruck a while ago. Rented skis in the city center, where we also had our hotel. There were daily ski busses going to all the major ski resorts in the surrounding area. So we woke up each morning, looked at the weather forecast and the actual weather out the window, and decided right there and then which ski area we would go to.

Busses were touring the city in the morning and bringing everyone to a big parking lot. From there the buses departed to the ski areas. All lines were direct, even to areas that were over an hour away. In the evening, the same thing repeated itself but the other way around.

And, of course, there’s one or two ski areas near Innsbruck that can be reached on foot or using regular scheduled buses. They’re not the biggest ones, but good enough for an afternoon (when the morning was fogged out).

From Grenoble-Isere (LFLS) you can just hire a car and drive up to Tignes/Val d’Isere. The cost of hiring a car, even for a week, is minimal compared to any sort of private transfer.

Plenty of easy blue runs in the Espace Killy (the name for the combined Tignes and Val d’Isere ski areas). Runs to suit every skier and the lift infrastructure, particularly after the investment of the last few years, is second-to-none.

EGLM & EGTN

Is there any traction in organising a ski fly-in using LFLS as the base? It’s do-able even VFR at low altitude, so would suit a wide spectrum of aircraft

I would definitely be up for that. The airport clearly has a massive amount of tarmac.

I can’t do 12th Feb.

Tignes is great in many respects, but I’m not sure it matches the blue/light reds target.

The piste map shows plenty of blues and reds. OK; the reds might be nasty but usually they are ok if one gets there the moment they open. The ones at Cervinia are beautiful but after about 11am they become pretty painful to work through the churned up snow. At most places I am the first in the queue for the lift (get up early) and ski only in the morning.

Some googling suggests Tignes has a wide range of slopes.

Administrator

For LFLS make sure to notify them well in advance if you are a big group as there apron get full fast with big jets.
If operating on a Saturday mandatory Handling (120€ if you have pax)
You can find there price list here local copy

Romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

That must be rather new, and is a bummer.

And this is also nasty:

Do they ask you cc details in advance?

Of course, you could ALWAYS cite some weather reason. But I don‘t like airports which invite you to get into arguments with them….

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Jan 17:10
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes that sounds gratuitously vindictive. I wonder why they do it, knowing that most cancellation reasons given are likely to be wx related (and in light GA genuinely so)?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message