Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

I’ll be in Vars next week, just near Barcelonnette (behind the pass of Vars) but Indeed complex to go there, 30 to 45’ by taxi. And the weather won’t be the best except middle of the week. Few risk of virus, we are out of school vacation in France.
I don’t fly there btw…

Last Edited by greg_mp at 05 Mar 22:09
LFMD, France

the main risk is getting into a hotel where somebody had the virus and then the whole place gets locked down and you are stuck there. Austria and Italy are doing this right now.

Sorry to disappoint you but austria, as can be clearly seen in this video, unable to close down any venue, maybe the italians, known for their organizational talent, are. :)

(Basically the news reporter describes the hotel is locked down and nobody may enter/exit while a guy just does exactly that).

always learning
LO__, Austria

The policemen seems very polite, stepping away to not prevent the guy from going out :-)

ENVA, Norway

These journalist are so pathetic…

LFMD, France

Peter wrote:

I just looked up booking.com availability at Gerlitzen and it looks like the whole world cancelled everything there. The whole place is showing vacancies!

We have a house rental available. There are three of us going and a fourth would like to go but there are only 3 bedrooms. But we might just go and drive around and find a hotel that can take us all since the reservations are so open.

KHTO, LHTL

What do people here think of how the coming ski season will pan out?

The ski resorts must have “plans” of some sort. Has anything been said?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I really love to ski but I think I will skip the coming season. There will likely be measures, i.e. mandatory face masks in the cable car.
And what about lunch? These restaurants on the slopes are always packed with people.
The pressure from the industry to open the wintersport regions will be tremendous.

Much as I love skiing, I think we are stuffed until the UK exempt list settles down, at the moment, rightly or wrongly, it’s being edited on a weekly basis!…..

EGNS, Other

The ski resort I usually use (the Quatre Vallees, Switzerland) is acting like the ski season is going ahead this coming winter. For example they just sent a letter to all chalet owners offering the usual pre-season lift ticket deals. But I really don’t think it is going to happen. The virus is widespread in much of Europe clearly, and we all know how well it spreads in winter ski areas. I think governments will shut down the lifts at the beginning of the season. So it will be ski-touring only.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Against all this you have the economic pressure – tourism revenue.

The ski resorts are largely located in quite poor areas, where there is little or no other work. That is partly why the virus spread so fast there: poorer people live in bigger family groups.

IME, and I’ve done only a dozen or so different locations, on the first few hours each day you can get yourself a private lift quite easily. So one can ski a few hours a day – anyway that’s the best time, before the snow gets trashed

The hotels will have had 9 months of practice on how to operate. Right now, they are well organised. Drop into one in say Croatia and it is smoothly organised.

That leaves restaurants and bars. For the customer, these can be avoided by doing self catering.

My plan would be to fly in the TB20 to Aosta or Bolzano and get a taxi to the place, and except for the one or two visits to the supermarket, avoid crowded places

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message