Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Peter,

Locarno is currently SNOCLO , so I didn’t put it on the list.
As I said too, the Sion AIP entry is weird, but anyway, in addition, there is currently also a NOTAM that bans parking.

blueline,

yes I forgot Hohenems. Had it on my mental list, but then forgot it.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Jan 11:19
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Have been in Salzburg LOWS 2 weeks ago (1 night weekend) and got a permission. Only a few planes on the GA apron. I asked a day before. Bolzano LIPB even offered me a hangar.

Last Edited by Muelli at 14 Jan 11:20
EDXQ

I go to Annemasse from time to time.

VFR only (possibility of a cloud-break/ILS and break-off at Geneva), very friendly, Customs 4 hr PPR by email, something like Euro 35 to land and park for two nights. Hangarage sometimes available at something like Euro 40 per night. There’s a EuropCar agent just down the road who will leave and collect the car at Annemasse.

It’s an hour from Morzine, one of the many resorts in the Portes du Soleil ski area. I’m biased, I’ve skied there since 1979!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Thanks, good info. Keep it comin’.
Just remember to report about the airports’ practices in terms of snow clearance.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Jan 12:53

I was in LOWS this weekend (Fri-Mon). They claimed that during Saturday all their aprons are completely occupied by ski charters so parking outside over weekend is impossible however there was no problem with hangar space (50 EUR/day for >2t).

LKBE

5. Bern (LSZB)

According to AIP, for visitors, the airport is PPR all year ‘round. I don’t know if this is treated in restrictive manners in the winter season. No other restrictions by NOTAM/SUP/AIC.
Maybe that’s half an option.

It’s a few years ago now, but when I went into Bern (Summer time) it was PPR, but PPR was a formality. They had a GA desk which looked after all GA, and it was busy enough. I don’t remember fees, but they were not expensive (or they would stand out in my mind ).
I stayed there for 5 days (I think) in the summer.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 14 Jan 12:43
EIWT Weston, Ireland

Actually I like friedrichshafen EDNY .. or possibly Sankt Gallen LSZR. St anton is only 1 to 1,5 hours away.

Good ifr possibilties .. Very doable for money and you are just clear of the mountains.. In real ifr conditions I would not want to be flying over the mountains..
Plenty of carrental .. Allthough Hertz tried to rob me.

I believe Geneva will let you come in but they might ask you to do a high speed approach (140kts). I am not sure if it is ppr for vfr. I have yet to fly there and or Annemasse as I own an appartment in Les Gets.. And have skied there since 1975 .-) .

Friedrichshafen is open till 22:00 so you can really make the most of your days. I did it last year leaving rotterdam at 18:30. On the way back we skied until 15:30 . Were in the car at 16:00 and were back in rotterdam 21:30. The longest delay was clearing friedrichshafen and the wait for the fueltruck.

Last Edited by Commander at 14 Jan 13:02

Bosco, if you really want to go to LOWI then drop me a pm, I may be able to help you there via an old friend.

Depending where you want to go skiing, an option could be Linz (LOWL) for the Salzkammergut / Dachstein Region.

It seems quite hard indeed – but you are focusing on the most commercial, best-known skiing area in Europe – the Alps. Why?
I am not into skiing myself, but understand there is a good deal of it in the Pyrénées (Biarritz? Pamplona? Lourdes/Tarbes/Ossun?) and in Czechia (Karlovy Vary?)
Even further off, you could consider Bulgaria, there must be winter sports charter flights to Plovdiv ISTR.

Last Edited by at 14 Jan 17:18
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I am not into skiing myself

Well, you prove that sufficiently with your post.

Skiing is not just about skiing. It’s the overall experience. None of the places you name hold a candle to the experience of the Alps, really. The Pyrenees are also too far off from central Europe.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Jan 17:30
Sign in to add your message