Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

YSCB

These guys look dangerous.

Oh, and it ought to be verboten to fly with gloves.
Just as bad a flying with a high-vis vest on.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

They do seem to make dangerously shallow approaches.

Forever learning
EGTB

And who is actually manipulating the controls….doesn’t seem to be a clear PF / PNF…..and if I was that far off the centerline I definitely wouldn’t publish the video!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

And who is actually manipulating the controls….doesn’t seem to be a clear PF / PNF

I remember my instructor flying the plane and telling me to keep my hands on the controls to get a feeling of what he was doing. He did it a few times in the first hours and I think it is a good teaching practice.

Why on earth did the instructor (if he is an instructor at all – at least he wears no gloves and has his watch on the correct wrist ) remove the student’s hand from the throttle lever during takeoff roll? And why is that stall warner going off all the time during initial climb?

EDDS - Stuttgart

Maybe he’s training for mountain flying. The shallow approach and touch down right at the threshold would work fine at Courchevel. As to the gloves – sweaty palms?

A Swiss airport for a bit of skiing?

A friend of mine, near where I work, is a really keen (and competent) skier and is really happy to fly with me somewhere for 2-3 days.

I would be willing to get one-on-one tuition (€60/hr) and he reckons that after a day, even an old dog who can’t learn new tricks will have picked up something. Obviously this would need some “easy” place to do it.

I’d prefer “this end” of Switzerland, so it is a fairly short flight. I don’t know if there was anything near Lausanne.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would be willing to get one-on-one tuition (€60/hr) and he reckons that after a day, even an old dog who can’t learn new tricks will have picked up something.

I can’t help with the actual question, but have a suggestion regarding tuition.

I’ve only been skiing once, many years ago, and I got a week’s worth of lessions while there. But prior to going, I got lessons here on an artificial slope. Doing those lessions was a great decision. I think I did about 10 of them. It ment that when I went on holidays, I was capable of doing something reasonable and enjoyable there from day one, without having to speed any time on the nursary slopes.

The lessons on the artifical slopes, was actually a quite enjoyable experience, once a week. If you’re going for the first time, and have the opportunity to take some lessons before hand, I’d totally recommd that you do.

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I’d go to Samedan, although it’s on the “wrong side” and then drive the 50 km to Scuol (“Motta Naluns”). That’s where I go skiing every year. It’s a fantastic ski resort (although not one of the very large ones) with a very good and comfortable infrastructure. Of course St. Moritz is next to the airport, but more expensive, and too many posers for my taste :-)

They also have a great school there, my kids attend it every year, eigth year this year!

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 12 Mar 10:37
Sign in to add your message