Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ferry Flight From Kansas to Doncaster (Cessna M2)

Ok
We tried the CPDLC extensively on the way down to Alicante but with no success

A suggestion has been made that a J indication on the Flightplan should be added which somehow informs the receiving stations to expect CPDLC?

Anyone heard of this ?

Trying it on the way back on Saturday

Last Edited by PhilTheFlyer at 14 Oct 07:32
Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

Peter wrote:

Some previous threads e.g. here suggest this loads the FMS directly, though the pilot needs to confirm it manually.

That is correct. Actually looking up the Cessna advice it is more around lack of stability in the standard rather than it not working. That said I hear a lot of CPDLC problems over voice with Maastricht.

EGTK Oxford

Some previous threads e.g. here suggest this loads the FMS directly, though the pilot needs to confirm it manually.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Its a bit like sending texts, when we got into UK airspace Scottish asked if we were CPDLC equipped, they use it to send clearances and we use to send requests or responses

I’ll let you know how it pans out wednesday…

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

What kind of data is it aimed to stream ?

PhilTheFlyer wrote:

I don’t believe it uses the GSR56 as this is a separate and not linked option, I think its just VHF radio linked, no subscription fees as far as I know.

We were 4 up and the winds weren’t quite enough in our favour for direct Iceland although we certainly calculate that option, 3 up you could have full fuel and definitely make it (winds permitting)

To be honest I wouldn’t have missed the Greenland stop, it was awesome !!

It is the first couple of times.

CPDLC in the M2 works via data-link equipped VHF. Cessna recommend not fitting it given how flaky the European implementation is. Be interesting to see how you find it.

EGTK Oxford

@ Sebastian

Independence didn’t set up the CPDLC correctly as they don’t have it in USA, its now been properly setup at Doncaster so we look forward to using it.

I don’t believe it uses the GSR56 as this is a separate and not linked option, I think its just VHF radio linked, no subscription fees as far as I know.

We were 4 up and the winds weren’t quite enough in our favour for direct Iceland although we certainly calculate that option, 3 up you could have full fuel and definitely make it (winds permitting)

To be honest I wouldn’t have missed the Greenland stop, it was awesome !!

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

@Phil
Congratulations on the new plan! Two questions:

Did you use the CPDLC yet? How does it communicate? Does it use the GSR56 Iridium module for the actual communication? Do they charge you any monthly fees for the CPDLC capability?

You write that you wanted to get to Iceland before sunset. Did you consider flying Goose Bay to Iceland direct? We discussed this recently regarding the Mustang jet but with the M2 you have quite a bit more range so it might be possible and still arrive on Iceland with enough reserve fuel.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

A single pilot multi-engine turbine needs a minimum of an MEIR/PPL to fly privately

I am certain that is not correct because I know for a fact of multiple plain PPL holders who fly King Airs, G-reg. You don’t need an IR. You just need a ME PPL.

You also don’t need an IR to fly an EASA-reg jet. The problem here is practical: no FTO will do the TR unless you have an IR (whether an FAA IR would do is a good Q).

Also a jet without an IR is even more useless than a KA without an IR, but that isn’t the Q

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Roger wrote:

In short (for EASA):

A single pilot multi-engine turbine needs a minimum of an MEIR/PPL to fly privately. There are no experience requirements (other than 70hrs PIC)
A single pilot multi-engine turbine needs two crew to fly commercially (AOC) flights. Captain needs an ATPL(A), first officer needs a CPL(A) minimum. Both need to have completed MCC training to fly in a multi-crew environment.
A multi crew turbine needs the same as above (ATPL captain and CPL first officer) for both private and commercial operations.

Thanks. Do you have a reference to where in the EU regs this is stated?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message