Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

No airport charges weekend 22 23 October Ostend (OST/EBOS)

Jan, is there a technical reason you can’t install a transponder? We could start a croud funding initiative to get you one

Without a transponder you’re very limited. In The Netherlands it is mandatory above 1200ft.

@Lenthamen, thanks, very kind of you! As soon as the budget allows (but the prospects are somewhat limited right now) I will add a Trig transponder. Meanwhile I have an old KT76 waiting to get built in – you may have seen the tray present in my homebrew panel – but I must get to the EHMZ avionics shop we all know to get it checked and adjusted.

As for the limitations: they are not too bad. With your permission, I avoid NL airspace anyway for lack of attractive destinations. EHMZ when I need to, and I’ll gladly make an exception for the excellent reputation of EHTX which even offers reasonably priced Euro95. Still I’d need to add not only a mode-S transponder but also an ELT for flying there legally.

And there are such a lot of nice destinations nearby: in Germany and in France, both so much more attractive than the Netherlands. Who wants to fly to Teuge if Koblenz is nearer, less expensive, has much more beautiful scenery? Just like I prefer Calais over any Dutch destination.

In France none have ever asked after a transponder, nor offered a squawk; at one time Langen Information was hard to convince, though

• OO-X99, please confirm you have no transponder?
  • Langen Information, I SAY AGAIN: OO-X99 negative transponder
    after which the lady did come up with a useful compromise – she did sound like slightly shaken, though…

Most of all: in my own Belgian airspace it doesn’t matter. Places where a transponder is required – that is to say, our class D, CTR’s and TMA’s and all above 4500’ AMSL – are closed to ultralights anyway. Which is one reason I am keen on coming, next weekend: it would be a rare occasion for me to get EBOS in my logbook.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Are you all coming in Saturday or Sunday?

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

I’m in if weather is good. Would stay over night. lets make it a fly in

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

I have been recommended this hotel in Oostende…

Hotel Ter Streep. This Guy used to run the restaurant ICARUS.

The website is: www.terstreep.be

I am planning Sunday.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ostend:
Hotels:
In town centre: Hotel Andromeda, Ramada Inn, Hotel Bero, Hotel Mercure, Hotel Ter Streep.
alternatively, one might try ’t Kruishof http://www.kruishof.be/ , farm hotel , close to the main terminal , and some good reviews. But more distant from city centre.

Restaurants:
Marina, Savarin, Ostend Queen, Agua Del Mar, Bottarga, Mange Tout, Van Eyck

Pubs & cafés: http://belgium.beertourism.com/cities/ostend/nightlife

Most hotels, restaurants are within walking distance of each other
As always, many info on the web… (see also tourism office links I quoted in other reply above)

For daytrips feasible and very close to Apron 3 gate: http://www.raversyde.be/en/atlantikwall-0 : “Atlantik Wall” open air museum : trenches & bunkers from WW2

Last Edited by Wim at 17 Oct 06:20
Wim
EBOS, Belgium

Vieke wrote:

Are you all coming in Saturday or Sunday?

Will be going on Sunday.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Good news!,,..I’ve just had my PPR number for a day trip visit on Saturday which I’ve been asked to include in my flightplan.

I am planning on entering the PPR number in Field 18 with something along the lines of RMK/PPR#XXXXXX however I normally file via Skydemon which also has a load of default extra info in Field 18.

For those with more experience than me, has anyone encountered any issues in entering a PPR number in a Skydemon flighplan?

Appreciate any guidance.

I will plan for Sunday.

EGBP Kemble, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message