Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best GA Aerodrome for Vienna

Thanks a lot @Fabian for your support, much appreciated.

I will contact the airport and check directly with them, I hope they will know. What I find a bit confusing is

• HTTPS://TINYURL.COM/ATPTCEN → clearly state that no PTC required, and is available in English
  • HTTPS://TINYURL.COM/PTCFORMAT → no information on where I should submit this form, but I suppose I can use the link above instead
  • LOAV is clear about their PDF on the website, just as you mention, but LOAN does not have any mentioning of a similar requirement. On their web page they refer to NOTAM A1357/21 – which does not seem to be a valid NOTAM at the moment. Current NOTAMs are about masts and IFR Cloudbreaking procedures.

I’ll reach out to them directly and check, thanks again!

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 08 Sep 09:49

Snoopy wrote:

When is your flight? Right now there is a bit of nuisance in the form of a restricted area due to a political summit.

We are planning to depart on Friday, September 10th. It seems that the restriction areas end on September 9th 16:00Z (AIP SUP 007/21). Thanks for mentioning it, could have been very negative if we would have missed that

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 08 Sep 12:13

Sorry for the spamming, just a short follow-up. I’ve emailed with LOAN Airport and nothing seems to be required from the airport, i.e., the document that LOAV wants to be submitted before arrival does not apply for LOAN. The airport does not require PPR either (as I understood the AIP stated).

Hey all,

Just a short follow-up. We ended up with a fantastic weekend in Vienna, we arrived at LOAN on Friday afternoon. The airport staff was very efficient and friendly, we had refuelled and paid the fees in no-time. Vienna gave us blue skies and 27 degrees :)

Before departure, we had the pleasant surprise of one of the test pilots for Diamond were sitting in a brand new DA50 just next to our aircraft. So we started talking with him and ended up with a 20 minute briefing of the DA50 and a tour of the factory together with the production manager (I believe). Amazing!

All-in-all, a very nice visit. The airport is friendly (even without the bonus visit to Diamond), and the trains from Wiener Neustadt to Wien HBF runs frequently.

I’ll do a write-up as soon as time allows! :)

Cheers!

Great to hear! LOAN is a fine microcosm of Austrian GA.
Did you get RWY09 ;) ?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Great to hear! LOAN is a fine microcosm of Austrian GA.
Did you get RWY09 ;) ?

We did After having spent almost 2:30h at FL100, enjoying the views and clouds, I suffered the good old “what happened, I am suddenly next to the airport” feeling. We looked too far ahead and were for a short moment a bit confused of which airport was actually LOAN, after having dropped IFR and being VFR. When on downwind and about to turn base for Rwy 09 we were told we were number two, which made it impossible to continue with the approach so we had to go around from base and make another circuit. It’s a pretty tight circuit for 09 :)

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 14 Sep 07:41

09 is indeed tight and catches many by surprise. Good job you managed it even with a go around before!

always learning
LO__, Austria

As seen from the train, the tracks represent the boundary one must not cross (due to the adjacent military airfield).

https://youtube.com/shorts/SekjP5mxUok?feature=share

Last Edited by Snoopy at 14 Sep 11:28
always learning
LO__, Austria
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message