Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Siena / Sienna LIQS any recent experiences ?

Has anybody been to Siena LIQS recently?

Usual questions… Fees, customs immigration, avgas availability…

Any recent experience greatly appreciated.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

I haven’t been there recently, but I have some up-to-date information for you.

First, some history. LIQS used to be a well-working, small GA airport a few years ago. At some point, they even devised an instrument approach.
Then, in 2012 or so, the operator went bust (a rather normal thing in Italy and nothing too extraordinary).

At that point, the airport was essentially closed for a couple of years and only the local aeroclub was allowed to fly. In 2015, the aeroclub took over the operation of the airport and, with PPR, visiting pilots were again able to use the airport (VFR only). Drawback: visitors had to coordinate all flights with the aeroclub. This worked so-so, but in any case required some flexibility and some Italian to get things sorted out. Fees were OK though.

Towards the end of last year, this changed. The airport operation was taken over by Sky Services. This is a chain of ground handling offices all over Italy, mainly at the main international airports. Handling agents? At a small GA airfield like Siena? Yes! Seems they want to establish the place as kind of “high end” destination for well-off people visiting Tuscany.

I recently made contact with them to find out details and they say the airport is currrently VFR-only, day-only, without customs. (In addition, it is quite far away from the centre of Siena and has no rental cars or similar on site).

Still, they insist on mandatory handling. Fee: 100€! The total with landing fees, one pax fee and a day’s parking, it comes out to 140€!.

The only positive side is that there is now a “proper” airport management and a clear, straightforward procedure for getting PPR, fuel, etc.

That’s the price we have to pay if we are asking airports to have English-speaking staff, somebody to answer the phone / e-mails 7/7 and so on. A handling company will come and say “I will do that for you; you just have to pay me 100€”.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Jan 18:37
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thank you very much @boscomantico

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

I am planning to fly to Tuscany in October. Since Imneed to go to Massa Marittima, Siena looks good, despite the prices…. Asphalt, long runway to accommodate easy takeoff, Avgas, and being pretty close…. makes sense. I could fly to Chiusdino but no avgas. Is there any aviosuperficie with avgas in the vicinitity ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Pegaso airstrip, Italy

The nearest suitable airfield to Massa Marittima is Aviosuperficie Aliscarlino, featured somewhere in the middle of this trip report. 650 metres of grass. The owner (Claudio, a farmer) has a facebook page only.

Chiusdino’s runway is no longer than Scarlino‘s, but I haven‘t been there for many years. Both Chiusdino and even more so Siena are long drive to Massa Marittima. Siena is 100€ handling and 50€ per night parking. The west of Tuscany in not well served by proper GA-usable airports.

Re fuel: well, you will need to make a customs stop somewhere anyway, so you can likely get fuel there, since even Siena doesn‘t have customs (immigration can be done there, but no customs).

I would go to Scarlino, with minimum fuel.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 Sep 07:39
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

wonderful trip report ! I will try to get a hold of Claudio and ask him….. last time I went to Aliscarlino it seemed more like an ultralight site. We pass there every time we go to the beach.
I have been to Chiusdino with the Beech, it’s really just a couple minutes by car from our house.

Another question: on that trip I will fly from Moenchengladbach EDLN to Samedan. Any tips for the best route from LSZS to get to Italy ? Preferably with an IFR pickup… ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Good evening Alex,

I organised a weekend for our TBM owners group in May and was very satisfied with Sienna.

We had 25 airplanes on the ramp, everything was smooth: Fueling, paying, rental cars at the terminal, no zealous security: Ideal.

If you need contact details, let me know.

Kind regards,

David

EGKB LFQQ EBAW

However, didn’t you somehow “swing” the service there? Thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You may want to consider Cecina LIQG: 1000m grass, no avgas but you can stop at Lucca or Pavullo.
www.aviosuperficiececina.it
They have an english contact number.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy
52 Posts
Sign in to add your message