Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Keep Fairoaks EGTF Open Petition

A developer is planning to close Fairoaks EGTF and build 1500 houses there. Please show your support for the airfield by signing this petition:

Fairoaks petition

Thanks!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Done….other than the 1500 houses, how the hell would we ever get our avionics problems sorted if it wasnt for Gama Engineering ?

I am sure Gama would find a new home in Biggin, Blackbushe or Rochester.

More to the point, Fairoaks is a great place to operate from, a nice relaxed GA airfield, a great bolt hole when Biggin is in hill fog and, above all, airfields can be closed, but they can never be opened, so if we lose Fairoaks it will never, ever, be replaced.

Why can’t they build on Wisley, which is hard by and has been disused since 1973?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Why change the change of use to “Greenfield” as opposed to “Airport”?

Done

UK, United Kingdom

Our best hope is Grant Shapps and the All Party Parliamentary Group for Aviation.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I have signed, however I wouldn’t hold my breath on the petition system being effective, especially with this government.

I signed a couple of very worthy petitions, one regarding the rights of citizens’ spouses. They both passed the 100,000 mark, requiring discussion in “parliament”. The reality is they’re discussed by a committee, in a room with maybe 5/6 people. The petitioners’ case is presented by some assistant who rarely has any feelings or personal interest in the matter. I’ve watched a couple of videos, the feeling I get is it’s done because it has to be done, neither side really puts much effort into it. The written reply provided on the petition website is equally meaningless and often feels like it was obtained from a template.

In short, I have yet to see an online petition obtain its desired effect. If you want to keep Fairoaks open, I suggest you try other lobbying methods.

EBZW

Well, Grant stood in front of the whole industry and said his top priority was to save the remaining airfields, so let’s see what he is made of.

He was very effective on the Red Tape stuff and getting Tony Rapson in place, so we can but hope…

EGKB Biggin Hill

Why change the change of use to “Greenfield” as opposed to “Airport”?

Could you elaborate, James?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As I understand, greenfield land is land that has not been previously developed, while brownfield has been. Both are available for urban development. Making a brownfield site greenfield probably only bumps it down a priority list in terms of the available sites for development?

But by recognising the airport as such, it might become protected and form part of a wider transport network, connecting people with places and adding value to the local economy.

I read an article in the Telegraph some time ago which stated that greenfield sites are to receive automatic planning permission to be built upon.

Therefore I don’t think designating to greenfield is the best long-term solution.

23 Posts
Sign in to add your message