Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New airfield in Croatia - Island of Vis

Finally the work on runway at Island of Vis started few days ago. It will be 800 m of grass runway with possibility of extending and upgrading to hard surface in the future. After 70 years this airfield will be resurected to life. I hope I’ll have fresh pics in couple of days.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

That’s a wonderful development. Really great to see a new airfield created, especially at such a scenic location.

What is Vis like for accommodation?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That’s perfect. Great to hear about this development.

EDDS , Germany

Fantastic! So good to hear of a new airfield, depressing to only hear about them shutting down!

EGTR

I briefly checked this out.

Here is the location of the island with reference to Split, Brac, Hvar:

Island map:

Airfield location with reference to the main town, Vis:

Thr problem for most European GA traffic, as for Hvar, Medulin and formerly Unije will be that a prior immigration stop at a major airport in Croatia is required, since Croatia is still non-Schengen. Emir, do you have any precise information on whether this is still moving ahead, or weather the project is dead? I think the join was once planned for 2010, then postponed to 2014, and now one does not hear a lot about it anymore… I guess the current political situation in Europe doesn’t help..

What I noted is that when you do a google “areodrom Vis” you get no info whatsoever on this airfield project… interestingly, the only real hit leads to this … seems like there is a nice “rural” pub / wine bar on or close to the airfield perimeter… let’s hope it will survive the airfield project…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Mar 17:24
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

a prior immigration stop at a major airport

Any airport in Croatia which has customs/immigration – e.g. Losinj LDLO. But yes having to stop is always a hassle. OTOH Vis may not have fuel for ages if ever so…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Scroll down at http://www.rokis.hr/ , there are pictures of B17 and B24 bombers at the field.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

boscomantico wrote:

Emir, do you have any precise information on whether this is still moving ahead, or weather the project is dead? I think the join was once planned for 2010, then postponed to 2014, and now one does not hear a lot about it anymore… I guess the current political situation in Europe doesn’t help..

The project is not dead but Croatia is moving on … well on Croatian pace. Although political situation is not helpful, I don’t think much more would happen in case of no migrant crisis. It’s more about the money needed to implement all processes and standards. I believe 2018 is new target.

Regarding the airfield, it’s a part of the project of revitalization of small airfields in Croatia and it’s run by friend of mine. After Rijeka Airport (LDRI) was included as supporter of the project there are some additional big players who showed their interest. Let’s hope they’ll find out some profitable calculation for them and next phase of development will come true.

Major fuel suplier is interested to provide bowser but I’m pretty sure it won’t happen this year. I guess they want to check interest and to see the numbers. IMO this will happen after hard surface upgrade.

The opening is planned for May 27 and you can bet I’ll be there.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I have an apartment on Solta and I was amazed to learn that there was actually some ww2 action on Solta. A small garrison of the bad guys were stationed at the only hotel on the island and Vis was held by the allies. Marines were landed at night on the rocky southern shore and aircraft from Vis bombed the hotel.

Forever learning
EGTB

SkyDemon doesn’t show it yet! How can I be expected to find the airport?

Tököl LHTL
79 Posts
Sign in to add your message