Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

9-10 September 2017 fly-in - Astypalea LGPL Greece

You can read the full story at www.aopa.gr/Info paragraph 13.

This is even funnier than should the immigration be required because under EU legislation there’s no customs checks on intra-EU circulation of goods.

However, I experienced this in Italy (Bari) arriving from Croatia and even arriving from Palermo and departing to Croatia. Regardless my explanation of EU regulations, customs officers asked for passport.

Strictly speaking they have the authority to check origin of the goods you carry anywhere at county’s territory but that’s enforced rarely, only when justified cause exists.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

BTW For LGPL AIP states “Fuel: NIL”. That means landing for refueling prior to LGPL is necessary for almost everybody arriving from abroad – so it can be combined with port of entry. For me Lemnos (LGLM) looks like great choice: on direct route, customs & immigration, Jet A1 available, no Fraport However, no 100LL.

For those arriving from the west there’s not much choice except Ionian Fraport islands: Corfu (LGKR), Cephalonia (LGKF – no 100LL) and Zakynthos (LGZA – no 100LL). AFAIK Kalamata (LGKL) has long PPR and special permission is required for private flights and no 100LL, so it’s probably not worth of trying. Other than that there are some airports which have customs & immigration (like Kithira LGKC) but no fuel, especially no 100LL.

At the end there’s Athens (LGAV) which ticks all the boxes (customs & immigration, 100LL, Jet A1, no Fraport, instrument approach) but it’s busy (especially in that period) and probably expensive. However, it’s worth of checking what would be the price for such “technical” stop only for refueling and customs & immigration.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

LGSM Samos is the obvious port of entry with avgas for Astypalea. But it does the Fraport ripoff…

LGAV Athens is about €200 but I recall reports of “tech stop” being a lot less; @petakas will know if that applies to refuelling too. It is busy at times and I got well and truly lost there on my one visit

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

LGAV Athens is about €200 but I recall reports of “tech stop” being a lot less; @petakas will know if that applies to refuelling too. It is busy at times and I got well and truly lost there on my one visit

I’m flying to Athens begining of July and I’m considering landing at LGAV as “tech stop” just for immigration, followed with short flight to LGMG and parking there for a week.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

At the end there’s Athens (LGAV) which ticks all the boxes (customs & immigration, 100LL, Jet A1, no Fraport, instrument approach) but it’s busy (especially in that period) and probably expensive. However, it’s worth of checking what would be the price for such “technical” stop only for refueling and customs & immigration.

It is quite busy depending on time of day but being such an airport (layout) it has ample capacity for IFR and VFR GA and they are very welcoming to GA in general.
It is THE ideal stop for entry and refuel combination.
I am not sure about the TECHNICAL stop aspect if you are coming from abroad.
Maybe it does not count this way maybe it does.

Best it to contact your handler of choice (www.aopa.gr/Info ) and ask them exactly this. Send the scenario and ask them if it is accepted as TECHNICAL stop if you do not exit LGAV landside and how much it will cost in total.

If you do not exit LGAV (passengers, crew does not count) the cost is 20~40 Euro instead of 180~200 (rough numbers from memory).
In the above link check the Athens GA Airport paragraph where it mentions how to get the LGAV PPR on your own.
Say this to the handler (that you will get it on your own) so that they do not include this in their charge.

LGMG Megara, Greece

I sent mail with these questions earlier today to Swissport Greece.

Last Edited by Emir at 24 May 19:44
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

ANy update please Emir on the technical stop at LGAV? I am considering the same thing in a Cirrus.

It seems that there’s not much difference between landing there or anywhere else in Greece. It’s 170€ with Pandair (25€ for landing and 145€ for handling) or 230€ with Swissport (26€ for landing, 50 for PPR, and 154€ for handling). Add VAT, add possible weekend and holiday surcharge and you get the value of fuel you spend arriving from Scandinavia And fuel in Greece is expensive as well. I’m pretty dissappointed but obviously there’s not much choice if we want to fly there.

I’ll probably fly to Corfu with maximum fuel I can take and I’ll try to refuel as less as possible in Greece. On return I’ll land in Sarajevo LQSA to enjoy 0.5€/l of Jet-A1.

Last Edited by Emir at 20 Jun 18:08
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

It’s 170€ with Pandair

Pandair, Meander, I often hear such Handling Agents for Greece.
What I know as local is that only three handling agents serve at the ramp and also offer discount for AOPA members.
They are the ones listed in www.aopa.gr/Info paragraph 12.b
I think the rest are agents who I guess add some commission for their part to delegate the job to one of the three above. So keep this in mind.

LGMG Megara, Greece

The same old trick.You cant communicate with Hochtief or HCAA or Fraport or Swissport,so you end up paying a row of commissions just for their existence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haemaphysalis_longicornis

LGGG
Sign in to add your message