Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

9-10 September 2017 fly-in - Astypalea LGPL Greece

Peter wrote:

It shows some “interesting” turbulence coming out of Samos

Come on, guys. You call that turbulence? And the camera is on the wing as well right?

Nice video by the way except that FC swearing!

I should add that the camera is stabilised so the actual was “more interesting” than it looks.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ahh indeed, my mistake ! apologies.

LGMG Megara, Greece

My final report on this trip is here.

Administrator

It is just the right weather in Germany to read the trip report, very nice!
328 Euro for one night at Samos is a no go for me, very sad. I have been there in 1980 with Olympics, many good memories.
Do you know how much it costs at other Greek airports, which also offer Avgas according to your map?

Berlin, Germany

Just the right wx here too I have 3 more writeups to do…

I think the answers are in the introduction text. Sitia LGST is the cheapest avgas+PoE at about €50-60. Behind it is Iraklion at about €150.

Even for Jet-A1 burners, the whole lot of the PoE airports (e.g. Corfu, Kefalonia, Kos, Skyros; all the popular holiday flight destinations are of course PoE and have Jet-A1) has gone to the €250-300 area. A friend of mine landed a CJ4 on Kefalonia recently and was billed “only” €300 so he was happy but this is way excessive for most of us.

While the €300 is probably a lot less than most pilots – who might actually get into a plane and fly to Greece – spend on avgas getting there (e.g. the TB20 cost some €1000 each way, and most IFR types would cost even more) it is the goldmining aspect of this which gets up people’s noses.

In theory, Samos could have been done for €100 less for a fully VFR flight, but the Goldair guy was not willing to discuss this. That aspect remains confusing and I may have been overcharged, but who knows?

As I wrote, I still plan to do another Greek trip in the TB20, to visit 3 more islands. That one will be done via Sitia which is itself a super location.

Everyone hopes Fraport wakes up and climbs down on these charges in the near future but unfortunately a lot of the costs are local (Greek airport workers, not German) ripoff enterprises…

Administrator

VW plans on replacing all vehicles on the island with EVs.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/11/volkswagen-group-to-turn-greek-island-into-an-ev-paradise/

Last Edited by Dimme at 05 Nov 20:59
ESME, ESMS

That will probably work since the longest driveable distance there could be done on a PP3

Administrator

Ι love resurrections of old threads ;-)

LGMG Megara, Greece
Sign in to add your message