Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

9-10 September 2017 fly-in - Astypalea LGPL Greece

Nice video. The alps are breathtaking.

ESME, ESMS

Just landed back at Fairoaks EGTF after a few days in the Alps.

Trip data:
Route: Fairoaks EGTF – Vienna Vöslau LOAV – Belgrade LYBE – Athens LGAV – Astypalea LGPL – Athens LGAV – Malta LMML – Annemasse LFLI – Le Touquet LFAT – Fairoaks EGTF
Total distance: 3922 nm
Flight time: 24 hr 50 min
Average speed: 158 kt
Fuel used: 395.9 USG or 1498 litres

Thanks to all for making it such a great trip!

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

The second leg of the Astypalea fly-in: Dubrovnik to Samos. 3:20hrs edited down to 14 mins. File size 1.9GB.

My total fuel burn on the whole trip was 1076 litres, all the way back to Biggin Hill, and then 25 litres Biggin to Shoreham.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Last of the three videos from the trip to Astypalea, Greece. This is the flight from Samos to Astypalea – 50 mins airborne. I flew around the island a bit too and that is in the video. It shows some “interesting” turbulence coming out of Samos

Administrator

Nice video.

Interesting Samos turbulence, actually this is a “normal” day in Samos !

Well … the fact that the AFIS at LGPL turns(ed) up to work right at opening time and then they had to inspect the runway gave you a nice opportunity to video scan the island.
Just FYI: They have no authority to instruct you to make a 360 or whatever, they are not ATC. They communication … well .. anyway no comment.
All they are entitled to transmit is weather information and whether the runway is clear or not.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Thanks.

In retrospect I dropped the ball and despite seeing the ETA as 0725UTC I did not slow down to give myself a bit of a margin, and arrived 5 mins early, so those 5 mins were spent videoing the island.

It was afterwards that I discovered that the staff only arrived for work at the 0730UTC opening time But it was OK. I would have just saved myself about 3 USG, not having to orbit.

That’s all the videos I have. I kept forgetting to download the camera footage and eventually it filled up – just before landing at Cannes! I will write the trip up when I get time…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

about 3 USG

Αn 8 Euro worth video good deal.

LGMG Megara, Greece

3 USG Avgas for 8 EUR – where??

EDLE

In Greece its sold at ~2.8 Euro/Lt.

LGMG Megara, Greece

3 USG = 11.3 litres = €32

Administrator