Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight to Ireland

After the AP of my TB 20 works perfectly again,
I’m planning my first trip to Ireland. I have never been there before. I heard and read
so many interesting things of this country and I think it is time to do it now.
I’m looking for a very nice place where I can come more often like a base and visit then all other parts of that country. My home base is east of Berlin Germany a former abandoned military place with a friendly older community. We are all enthusiastic
pilots and love it to meet friends in other countries.
I will try to come VFR or IFR pick up. The runway should be long enough for my
TB 20 grass or concrete.
I’m looking forward to get some recommendations
Thomas

Berlin, Germany

I will start the ball rolling with the following suggestions (from South to North):

• EIKY Kerry – beautiful, mountainous scenery (for Ireland), lakeside and coastal scenery within easy reach. On-airport car rental.
  • EIWF Waterford – great coastal region with the best sandy beaches in Ireland within easy reach. Off-airport car rental (will pick you up).
  • EISG Sligo – Another great scenic region, coastal and mountainous. On-airport car rental.

Any of these would be a destination in themselves and provide a good base for touring the country. All have hard runways and instrument approaches, though Sligo only has NDB approaches.

EGTT, The London FIR

Be aware that (unless I am much mistaken) Ireland is not a Schengen country, meaning you must clear immigration when leaving the Schengen area and when entering Ireland. Vice versa on the return, of course. And no, you cannot do so in Scotland, not yet

BTW which is your home field? It would be nice if you would mention it in your profile.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Thomas,

some info here:

http://www.fliegen-in-uk.de/irland.html

Pay attention that unlicensed airfield info may not be up to date. There unfortunately is no half-current airfield guide for Ireland out there.

Immigration stuff here (a little further down):

http://www.fliegen-in-uk.de/zoll.html

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Jan is correct, Ireland is not Schengen, but all the airports I mentioned have Customs available with 24 hours prior notice.

EGTT, The London FIR
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EIWT Weston Airport would give good access to Dublin but is expensive (40 Euro landing fee for non-Irish/local planes). Maintenance if you need it. Ireland is small enough that any aerodrome will work as a base.

Make sure to buy the following book:
https://www.wfaviation.com/products/aviators-guide-to-ireland
It really is comprehensive. The author will probably post here soon.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 02 Apr 12:55
Tököl LHTL

If it was me, I’d pick EGAB Enniskillen and get vat & duty free fuel each day crossing the border…. It’s a nice picturesque place. After that I’d say Kilrush EIKH might be good, relaxed and self service fuel. Weston EIWT is good too but more expensive.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Speaking of the devil….

Tököl LHTL

I was asked about my home base.
Warm welcome for a visit to Berlin EDBW
Thomas

Berlin, Germany
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message