Welcome to our forums

Ad Hoc fly-ins

Telegram group for ad-hoc fly-ins: https://t.me/+xNhorhP63F8wMDU0

Just sitting here enjoying a bottle of the very same

quatrelle wrote:

Just sitting here enjoying a bottle of the very same
good choice
EDDS , Germany

Just a note to say that a friend and I will be in the south and east of England tomorrow and possibly Wednesday with his M7 and my MX-7 (N280SA on FR24).

Text/Telegram or phone me on 07802 916995 if you’re at a loose end and would like to meet somewhere, preferably avoiding tarmac and airports.

ATB, Peter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

About 1hr walk from Bembridge.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Anyone in/near Dubrovnik ?
;-)
Until Friday ?
Home office from not quite home…

EDM_, Germany

Quick jump to Bembridge yesterday, the ideal place for a calm first flight with wife & baby, on the way back no Gatwick VFR transit (gone home at 6pm), but Heathrow Radar were ok for us tp fly over our place in Greenwich

@Peter departed before my arrival

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Congratulations ! For the baby not the flight

LFOU, France

Ibra wrote:

on the way back no Gatwick VFR transit (gone home at 6pm)

Do I understand that right? There is a big patch of controlled airspace but nobody there to control it after 6pm?

In Ireland we have similar, but once the ATC goes home (or reverts to AFIS in many cases) the airspace reverts to class G.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

In Ireland we have similar, but once the ATC goes home (or reverts to AFIS in many cases) the airspace reverts to class G.

This!

A few years back the way it sometimes worked here was that while the airport was closed airspace was G, the CTR was an ATZ and the guy in the tower was “XYZ Radio”; come 0600 he’d become “XYZ Tower” and opened up the queued flight plans for the four planes doing circuits. Similarly, at 2200 Tower became Radio and CTR became ATZ.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Jujupilote wrote:

Congratulations ! For the baby not the flight

Thanks Jujupilot !

dublinpilot wrote:

Do I understand that right? There is a big patch of controlled airspace but nobody there to control it after 6pm?

They were around when we depart, they were busy and open door for anyone who want to get in VFR, so far they are very welcoming & hassle free for VFR crossings, while their zone is not that big it is a shame they can’t just broadcast on ATIS that radar/tower are not around and one is ok to cross on blind calls (would not trust Notams for this job, too much fat fingers & processing for them/me )

I actually avoided Gatwick zone on the out leg (did not want to go down to 1000ft & orbit over north terminal building for tower to allow us crossing runway axis, tried to get a smooth flight ), also north OCAS side is to be avoid all times unless you have a Class D transit: on weekends, corridor Redhill/Biggin is like a dual carriageway, on few weekdays Kenly gliding is active and now Farnborough/Gatwick gap is only 2 wing spans…

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Jun 11:09
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message