Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ad Hoc fly-ins

Telegram group for ad-hoc fly-ins: https://t.me/+xNhorhP63F8wMDU0

@Peter, did you get your transits OK?

EGTR

Updating original thread shortly

Short answer is a bit of Yes and mostly No.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

No taxis so a 30 min walk in heavy rain, backpack etc soaked. Airport totally absolutely tight, not allowing engine start “before the controller is ready” so I could de-mist the interior. Everything inside the plane soaked.

Written with a bit more wryness, and this one goes in the story section…

The lesson learnt is that I need to get a waterproof bag for the aircraft cover. I have one which is not fully waterproof and anyway I was hurrying and didn’t use it. The result was a load of water in my toolbox (got in via two little holes at the base of the carrying handle), on the luggage compartment carpet, all sorts of places, and I am still drying things out. 2kg of silica gel now in the plane.

What I should have done is removed the cover the evening before. It is required only to keep the sun out. At EGHE you have H24 access to the aircraft because there is no fence (practically speaking) although a security guard might pay you some attention with his AK47 (only joking though I am sure they would love to get some) if you turned up at 10pm.

I had this departing from LDSB a couple of years ago, in similar conditions. I flew to LFMD in my underpants, with everything else soaked and hung out over the seats to dry. It was all dry by the time I landed ~ 2hrs later. I think FL140 and a strong sun works well

Administrator

As a general note: I am always up for a meet-up at Shoreham.

Not at the cafe there but a 15min walk to Shoreham old town gets you to a good Italian restaurant (Tosca) with all the usual Italian stuff, plus fresh fish.

It’s a great place to fly into; easy and friendly, £30 for 1400kg, and the 15min walk to anywhere, let alone decent food, is very unusual in terms of UK GA airfields.

Administrator

LIPV We just arrived and will stay at Murano for two nights.

EDDS , Germany

I am going to the Scilly Isles EGHE Thursday/Friday.

Day trips still not allowed… Seems no “normal” accommodation available.

Camping 1 night – £11. They have plenty of tents available too for £22, with electric power, but I am doing this as a “proof of concept”, with my 100LL-compatible miniature stove (not actually burning 100LL this time)

The CV19 situation has totally buggered the tourist patterns and the islands, being “England” and thus open, are very busy (though never actually crowded, except for the queue outside the Co-Op supermarket, because it is so damn hard to get there); I had to book a dinner slot at the Kavorna (crab salad).

I think we should try a quick meet-up somewhere popular e.g. Cambridge. I mentioned this in the telegram group.

Administrator

I will be flying with a friend to Zell am See LOWZ on Sunday 13.9. with an early morning start; back to Rotterdam on Monday 14.9. probably in the afternoon (all depending on the forecasted good weather being stable); Maybe a quick intermediate stop in Schwäbisch-Hall EDTY for a toilet break and fuel top-up.

Plan is to do a bit of hiking up the mountains around Zell, if anyone’s in the vicinity or likes to join in, let me know.

EHRD / Rotterdam

Anyone to Elba this weekend ?
Plan to arrive tomorrow (Fri), staying probably in Marina di Campo.

EDM_, Germany

I would be but not this weekend. Maybe next one.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message