Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Overfly or land in Turkey

With my home-base in Cyprus and some trips planned to central Europe, my option has been to get around Turkey and fly over Greek airspace. I even had a FP refused when it slightly touched Turkish airspace.

Being based in Cyprus, Turkey is also a nice option to fly, visit some cultural places or even enjoy Antalya nice beeches.

Any experience, advises and requirements on overflying Turkey or even land and stay for a couple of days?

Thanks

LPSR, Portugal

@vieke flew from Belgium to Turkey a couple of years back. Since then however, the situation may have changed quite a bit since the coup.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

Belgium to Turkey a couple of years back. Since then however, the situation may have changed quite a bit since the coup.

Thanks. I read the trip report, but lot happened since then, inclusive the coup, reason I am looking for additional information.

Last Edited by lmsl1967 at 08 May 12:24
LPSR, Portugal

lmsl1967 wrote:

Any experience, advises and requirements on overflying Turkey or even land and stay for a couple of days?

You mean flying from southern part of Cyprus to Turkey as destination ?

I even had a FP refused when it slightly touched Turkish airspace.

Very generic statement, by whom ? where ? what route was filed ?

Last Edited by petakas at 09 May 05:18
LGMG Megara, Greece

I was supposed to fly to Alanya from Croatia with Corfu as refueling stop few weeks ago. Unfortunately I had to change the plan and stay in Greece (also beautiful trip, thanks @petakas) because my daughter’s passport had been expired (bad parents hadn’t check this on time ). However, filing plan and arranging landing and parking for few days wasn’t a problem (with little bit of help of friend from Turkey to speed up communication ).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I suspect there is a VFR versus IFR issue here… IFR would be a lot easier.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When users on autorouter file flight plans that touch Turkish airspace, we regularly get nasty AFTN messages from Turkey. The Greek/Turkish airspace border issue has some subtleties to it.

It is so nice to have good neighbours.

LFPT, LFPN

Can anyone post any detail about what is the actual problem with overflying Turkey, from Cyprus to Europe?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The latest info I know is from last year. A friend of mine organised a rally from ELLX to Georgia with a few planes ( this year it will be St- Petersburg)

The website: http://www.hansgutmannrally.eu
You can contact Peter if you have more questions after reading the report.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message