Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Overfly or land in Turkey

Any experience, advises and requirements on overflying Turkey or even land and stay for a couple of days?
You mean flying from southern part of Cyprus to Turkey as destination ?

I even had a FP refused when it slightly touched Turkish airspace.

Very generic statement, by whom ? where ? what route was filed ?

Yes, from LCPH to any destination in Turkey. I am pretty familiar with the political deadlock between the two countries. How that affects a direct GA flight between the 2 countries I am not aware.

As far as I remember by Greek authorities. Route from LGSSM to LCPH – LARKI KOPAR L995 RDS R19 DASNI TOBAL

achimha wrote:

When users on autorouter file flight plans that touch Turkish airspace, we regularly get nasty AFTN messages from Turkey. The Greek/Turkish airspace border issue has some subtleties to it.

I did send the FP through AeroPlus. Being a VFR FP it might have help for the outcome. I was so "pissed’ already with several change of FP that I didn’t bother to know why, just changed one more time.

The reason I am so interested is, from one side, to directly overfly and safe time and money to places like Bulgaria, Romania when going even further North. Also, to visit on weekend flights some nice places in Turkey like Capadocia or Pamukkale. Can be quite boring to spend a couple of hours flying over Cyprus or visit the same places in Greece, places where I can fly in a 3 hours radius.

Last Edited by lmsl1967 at 10 May 06:22
LPSR, Portugal

Maybe you can try this (Cyprus is a member of ECAC) :

In field 18 of your flightplan, you put: RMK/ECAC FL (my handling agent told me it was required when I flew there)

Also, there is no VFR information, so take an IFR routing and file that VFR. I had no issue at all.

Please observe that according to AIP Turkey page GEN 1.2-9 it is now required, that the operator states the purpose of flight e.g BUSINESS, FERRY, CHARTER, AMBULANCE or other, under RMK/ in field 18 of all flightplans, for flight overflying Turkey.
Examples:
RMK/PAX CHARTER

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

lmsl1967 wrote:

Yes, from LCPH to any destination in Turkey. I am pretty familiar with the political deadlock between the two countries. How that affects a direct GA flight between the 2 countries I am not aware.

As far as I remember by Greek authorities. Route from LGSSM to LCPH – LARKI KOPAR L995 RDS R19 DASNI TOBAL

Your LGSM to LCPH flight plan was fine.
It barely touches LTBB FIR on that little portion after USINI towards ASIMI but this is delegated between ACC’s as far as I know and there are never issues about it.

Yes there is political deadlock between Turkey and Greece & Cyprus.

Maybe the day you went flying there were Military “exercises” from either side’s Air Force and in such cases ATC try to keep VFR as far as possible and within Airways/ATS routes since the “other” flights are VFR too and almost of unpredictable lateral & vertical paths.

I also remember being recommended to state RMK/ECAC FLIGHT for my Greek register aircraft or else I needed entry permission.
About the purpose of flight I did not know, I have not flown across during the recent years.

Regarding VFR flight from southern Cyprus via Northern Cyprus and then Turkey towards northern Aegean or Bulgaria etc. I have no idea. A local must give input on this but you are asking about something as politically complicated as it gets.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Can anyone post any detail about what is the actual problem with overflying Turkey, from Cyprus to Europe?

Hi all.

The OP’s Arrow (looks very nice, BTW, parked opposite the hangar I’m based out of in Pafos) is Cypriot registered. This is the issue here. No Cypriot registered aircraft of ship can enter Turkey. Any other register, and he would be fine. Nobody can fly direct from Cyprus to Turkey though. When I do it (Isle of Man registered aircraft) we first have to make a tech stop in Greece.

LCPH/LCLK

petakas wrote:

Regarding VFR flight from southern Cyprus via Northern Cyprus and then Turkey towards northern Aegean or Bulgaria etc. I have no idea. A local must give input on this but you are asking about something as politically complicated as it gets.

Just not possible at all.

LCPH/LCLK

@500Above

Ok, Turkey out of bounds. Now it’s explained why I was deviated from the Turkish border while following L995 after RDS.

Yes, that’s the one. Arrived there and left the day after to LCLK to change the ELT.

There are ‘not so nice’ as mine airplanes parked at the hangar :-) taking into consideration that size doesn’t matter.

Technical stops in Greece! 130 for handling and 50 for landing, ridiculous is that I even paid 30 euros customs when I was not supposed to leave the airside, plus 30 euros on a return trip on the bus to the gate. Expensive way to use WC. I paid 65 euros total at LOWS, including 2 days parking.

Still trying to survive on the area, learning what a ‘General Declaration’ is after failing to submit it twice, or a local flight plan since the normal format is not recognized.

Last Edited by lmsl1967 at 21 Jun 09:07
LPSR, Portugal

Aviathor wrote:

It is so nice to have good neighbours.

Yeap, the whole situation is properly documented here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegean_dispute
If you have the patience read it !
This is the reason why when we fly close to the eastern border ATC often do not approve DCT’s off airway routes even for VFRs.
They can see on radar “other VFR flights” in progress nearby but are not in a position to provide traffic information about them.

LGMG Megara, Greece

The “other VFR flights” being this kind of stuff

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The “other VFR flights” being this kind of stuff

Yeap, in that specific pic its a friend of mine ~10 years ago on patrol over Santorini LGSR photographed by his wingman.

Some samples of what happens day in day out over the Aegean while we (GA) fly VFR low & slow below relaxed.
Speed on the left, G loads top left, altitude on the right.

Check @2:12

Check @2:21

LGMG Megara, Greece

From my location and with the help of my high gain antenna I can scan all aeronautical frequencies around Aegean Sea. A Greek registerd single engine plane was warned and rerouted yesterday from his initial VFR heading to avoid Turkish “invaders” being intercepted by our boys. But this is constant situation since 1995 on a daily schedule.Danger frequency 121,50 is being overused for bullying reasons,equaly as Marine Danger freq 156,800 -Ch 16 is being used for daily chat between their fishermen.

Last Edited by MedFlyer at 22 Jun 08:31
LGGG
Sign in to add your message