Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Head North

If you are going to Røros, you definitely have to stop by at ENTY for coffee and wafles (Saturdays). It’s only a short hop, and they have AVGAS. So do ENOP also (as well as mogas and jet), a slightly longer hop, but not much, in the wrong direction though, but should be more or less right below you from Ålesund-Røros. You have to call and arrange at both places, if it’s not in the week end, but that should be no problem. ENTY is 1000m of grass, really nice, one of the nicest airfields in Norway. ENOP is 800m tarmac. Further south you have Starmoen with Avgas, and also Hamar, but by then you are almost at ENGM again. I’m not sure about Ålesund, but Ørsta/Volda has. It’s the club at Volda that sell it.

ENOP is also IFR, not sure how though, there are no ILS or anything there, but I use my eyes only

From Ålesund, you definitely should fly down in Sunndalen. It’s like it’s made for flying. Not too narrow so you feel cramped, and not too wide so you lose the “valley feeling”. You have to look out for some electric lines out in the fjord, but there is nothing in Sunndalen itself. With 6000 feet of mountains on each side it’s very cool. It even has a small airfield. At the upper end of the valley is Oppdal and there you can re-fuel I have never re-fueld at Røros, so I don’t know if they have AVGAS. It’s closed so often, so it’s kind of off the chart too. Within a year it will have a remote tower, this is the last summer it is manned.

I have given up on those P-fly cards. If you shall have any possibility to get one, you have to apply ASAP. The way it seems to work is they use 2-3 months to look at the application, then you get a negative answer due to some irrelevant nonsense. It’s a year since I gave up, maybe it’s better now, I don’t know.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Ålesund definitely didn’t have Avgas when I was there last summer, I had to keep going back to Molde and refuelling there. But Ålesund city is a must-see.

The other one trip that I would say is a “must” is to land at ENSG Sogndal, take a taxi down to Kaupanger, then the boat to Gudvangen. If you have time, also take the boat from there to Flåm, and the train up to Myrdal and back.

When flying to Sogndal, go low level up the Sognafjord, but brief very carefully indeed on the power cables, and keep a good lookout. If you can’t see them, turn away and climb! But they have big red and white footballs on them and they are quite visible. In the middle they are generally quite low.

You then have quite a climb to get up to Sogndal.

EGKB Biggin Hill

mmgreve wrote:

Why not fly into Kjeller for Oslo?

It is a short distance to the (only) mid-way stop on the airport express, so you will be in town in no time. Small airport, so probably quick and easy to get in and out of. I ask because I have it in mind for when I fly to Oslo myself, so let me know if there is a good reason to go to Gardemoen.

Kjeller is an excellent choice but has very limited parking for visiting aircraft. You need a Statoil card to get fuel, or call a friend which means I would depend on someone being there to assist me. I will have passengers who want to see Oslo and not spend time on logistics (fuel). I am also on a schedule and have to be back in Roskilde on 12/7. That’s why I currently prefer ENGM. I do however keep the ENKJ option open.

I know Per-Inge who is the civilian airport manager from my days at NRF. He is the one who would issue the PPR. You can walk in to downtown Lillestrøm, or take the bus right outside the airfield gate, and take the train to Oslo. I was there last two years ago – for the first time since I left Norway in 2000. I was by myself, had all the time in the world and did not need fuel.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 10 May 17:05
LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

You need a Statoil card to get fuel

Statoil has sold all retail in Norway. There is no more Statoil gas station or aviation. BP has taken over Statoil Aviation, and Circle K has taken over all gas stations. BP and Shell is what you need. At ENOP and ENTY cash or Vipps or anything will do. Vipps is a mobile phone payment system that has become incredibly popular the last 1-2 years. For private payment, typically between friends and similar stuff, it’s easier than cash or paypal or credit cards or whatever else nowadays. A competing, but not equally popular system, is m-cash. I have no idea how they work with foreign banks or phones, but Vipps (or m-cash) is a must-have today IMO.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

You may be right that it is not Statoil, LeSving. The AIP says Statoil

Jet A1 and 100LL AVBL for Statoil key holders

But the Kjeller Aerosenter page says

Fuel:
AVGAS100LL and JetA1, self-service, only with Air bp Card.

And as a matter of fact, I do have an Air BP Card which I to this day have never used…

Last Edited by Aviathor at 10 May 18:08
LFPT, LFPN

But Air BP closed most Statoil Avgas stations.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Statoil is gone (which was very traumatic for many ) It’s many years since Statoil outsourced the retail business to some Canadians, but it was marketed as Statoil for good time’s sake I guess, until last year. I don’t know the background for BP taking over Statoil Aviation, but that happened within the same time frame.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Timothy wrote:

But Air BP closed most Statoil Avgas stations.

Where have you heard that from? They seem to be putting up more. It was Statoil that closed avgas stations.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I suggest you call the airport manager at Kjeller regarding fuel. I’ve been there several times and had no trouble arranging it, no Statoil or BP card. Big airports have inconveniences of their own, security etc., and at Kjeller you just walk into town. Oslo is 10 min away by train which is underground the whole way.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

Where have you heard that from? They seem to be putting up more. It was Statoil that closed avgas stations.

Oh, possibly. That wasn’t how I was told, but my source (one of the affected airfields) may have got it wrong. I hope so.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message