Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Southern England, recommendations

What do you want to do when you get there? Shoreham for the town, White Waltham, Old Sarum or Goodwood for the airfield, Denham, Panshangar, Biggin, Fairoaks, Elstree, Rochester and others for London, Duxford for the museum.

Forever learning
EGTB

Flying is fine from Sywell, just pointing out you don't want to fly to Sywell as a land base for Cambridge or Oxford.

EGTK Oxford

Personally I think Sywell is too far from Oxford or Cambridge if those ate where you really want to go but agree it is a lovely aerodrome.

I was thinking of flying from Sywell to either Oxford or Cambridge. I'm based at Cambridge and Sywell is approx 15 mins flying time. Oxford must be similar.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

But I'd add in Sywell (EGBK).

Personally I think Sywell is too far from Oxford or Cambridge if those ate where you really want to go but agree it is a lovely aerodrome.

EGTK Oxford

Thanks for the great suggestions. Many interesting options. I'll let you know how it went.

I was at Manston last weekend. Very pleasant due to good service from TG Aviation. Thanet Peninsula has two pleasant places for a day or two: Ramsgate and Broadstairs. Margate is grotty.

Other than that, see here :

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I wouldn't disagree with any of the suggestions already made. But I'd add in Sywell (EGBK). The airfield itself is pleasant (they often have aerobatic practice/displays going on - NOTAMed). It has a hotel on the airfield and is centrally located (just outside Northampton) for trips to Oxford, Cambridge, Gloucester, Old Sarum.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

A few years ago, I did a trip to Old Sarum. It's not right on the south coast, but not a very long flight from the south coast.

If you have ground transport it's makes a nice destination. So long as you have ground transportation Stonehenge, Aversbury (which I thought nicer than Stonehenge), Salisbury Cathedral and Old Sarum itself are all easily accessable.

Getting ground transport at the weekends is somewhat of a challenge though. If you can arrive on Friday evening, it's probably a lot easier.

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Cambridge and Oxford are my favorites.

Yes, depends on what you want. For Southern England I would also add Shoreham for Brighton. There is also SouthEnd, which has the longest 'pleasure' pier in the world, but I am not sure I would recommend it for a weekend though.

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message