Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Syros LGSO Greece AVGAS (and now - 2024 - Customs and Immigration!)

achimha wrote:

Why did AirBP do this? Do they expect to make money or was supplying AVGAS part of their concession and they were obliged to offer it?

Many of us had the same puzzles but concluded: don’t wonder, don’t ask and enjoy the availability !

For sure they will have a lot of fuel traffic from charter helicopters flying in the Aegean and this was one of the thoughts because Syros is really cheap CAA airport for them to visit and without PPR.
They (helicopters) are also greatly hit by the FRAPORT & Handler’s increased costs at Mykonos LGMK and Santorini LGSR where they used to stop for refueling (to avoid tankering of fuel on their way out from Athens or wherever). To get the clients to these and other popular destinations they do not need the airports.
They fly out of all sorts of fields as base of operations towards similar landing areas in any island place you can imagine as long as “the land owner has no objection” or “nobody complains for noise pollution/overfly hazard” BUT for refueling because they are under AOC they cannot do it on their own at the “fields” with ad hoc procedures. They need airport based refueling and this is where Syros LGSO becomes a key player.
There is tremendous helicopter traffic in the summer between Athens and all Aegean islands and Crete’s north coast.

Last Edited by petakas at 06 Jul 08:49
LGMG Megara, Greece

First refueling invoice “0001” today for JET-A1 to an EC120 helicopter bound to a private site in nearby Mykonos.

What did I tell you ?!

Last Edited by petakas at 07 Jul 17:55
LGMG Megara, Greece

From here

@petakas
Is there any chance of Syros’ becoming a port of entry in the near future?

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

@petakas
Is there any chance of Syros’ becoming a port of entry in the near future?

Yes there is.
AOPA Hellas are already pressing on this front.
Beginning of June AOPA are staging there their General Assembly combining it with a Fly In.
This is being used as a “lever” to press for further improvements at the airport like more opening hours and port of entry status.

I was in Syros last weekend. The local CAA and AFISO guys are very keen on GA. They help wherever they can. They were the main driving force of AVGAS/JETA1 getting there in 2017.
They told me a 3rd staff member for AFISO is “inbound” and this should expand the operation hours.

No specific news on International status yet but the pressure is on for this.

In HCAA AIP ( http://www.hcaa.gr/aip ) at page LGSO AD 2.3 the following is mentioned:
“2 Customs and immigration HO (O/R, 24 HRS PN required)” meaning we can get customs and immigration at 24hrs prior notice.

In HCAA AIP – LGSO AD 1.3-5 the following is mentioned:
“LGSO SYROS / DIMITRIOS VIKELAS D NTL”
NTL meaning National category of airport (i.e. not port of entry)

LGMG Megara, Greece

LGSO as a Port of entry with AvGas would really make my life easier and cheaper. Instead of LGSM I can do my refuel there and head north. Really great news.

LPSR, Portugal

I am confused now: is LGSY a Port of entry? What about AvGas?

LPSR, Portugal

Avgas: yes, international: no

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

FWIW when I landed at LGSO for fuel last October, everyone there (from the refueler to handler to tower) told me they were working on becoming a port of entry. They made abundantly clear they want GA traffic like us. It was one of the friendliest non club environments I’ve encountered. Be aware, approach over that hill, especially in wind, requires that you be on your A game.

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

They made abundantly clear they want GA traffic like us.

Wow. Great sign! Hope they are not the only ones to see it that way but based on where they are, they are in a perfect spot for the whole area.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Yes; this would transform flying to and around Greece. Most of the nicer islands are not Fraported and are cheap.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message