Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Syros LGSO Greece AVGAS (and now - 2024 - Customs and Immigration!)

I have just emailed Syros and the current price is 3,656 euro/L (including VAT).

LCPH, Cyprus

I am on Syros now and it isn’t really a place worth stopping at, IMHO. Ioanina or Sitia are much nicer and have customs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, how is it as a fuel stop? Is everything smooth and quick?

LCPH, Cyprus

Just a Greek island holiday. Not with the plane.

Administrator

If I was to make a very brief comment on Syros, it would be: apart from some nice beaches around the coast, there is almost nothing to see on the island other than the main town Ermoupoli, which is quite a big town which is “fully functional” i.e. negligible dependence on tourism. This is quite unusual on the Greek islands. There isn’t much to see in the town apart from the architecture; things like museums are pretty poor.

Its location makes it a good refuelling stop for flying around Greece, but it really needs to be a port of entry. With a plane with a decent range (and anything less is hardly usable around Greece unless you just fly circles around your flying club) one can manage with Ioanina or Sitia. Syros would be good for a longer stay in Greece where you are doing more flying around the smaller Greek islands.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

This is quite unusual on the Greek islands

Syros is the admin. capital (courts, building authorities etc.) of Cyclades islands (Mykonos, Paros, Naxos etc.) and also also includes a public university which brings in student traffic in the main town.
Thats why you see the island “fully functional”.
More on Syros https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syros

LGMG Megara, Greece

Indeed; lots of students having a good time

The town hall is impressive; we walked around the inside.

Administrator

Syros is unofficially called “the little Corfu” among Greeks due to their resemblance in history, influences, architecture and regional capital status.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Syros now has Customs and Immigration – here

Administrator
59 Posts
Sign in to add your message