Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip across France

I have to go to some small place near Vannes in France in September and I’m thinking of flying my mighty Europa across.

I’m thinking of using Quiberon airfield and would need to stop to refuel. I don’t quite have the full range. Still air flight time 4:30… I’ll be on fumes if tried it. I have a personal limit of 3:30. Troyes is about 2:30 for me, but that only has Avgas. I can use Avgas in the rotax at a push but it’s a huge extra cost for, in my opinion, shitter performance.

Can anyone help with information for Mogas availability at French airfields.

If I decide to go, I’ll probably pick some brains about flying across the danger areas in France. I’ve never really encountered them on my previous french runs.

Last Edited by italianjon at 28 Jun 15:49
EDHS, Germany

Hi Jon,

Re Mogas in France: if you are talking about a real fuel pump for and official sale of Mogas, there are traditionally very very few places in France which have this. One reason is that Avgas is just not that expensive in France after all.

You will want to verify, but if my records are correct, there should be Mogas at Orléans LFOZ. This is just half an hour further along than Troyes for you.

Now, of course there is much more Mogas in France than that, because there is a big ultralight scene, which “lives” on Mogas. But for that you would have to go to the very smallish aerodromes, ask around in the hangars, wait, etc. Probably not ideal in your situation. Still, you might want to look around here and contact some of the airstrip owners if they want to meet and help you. There are some terrific airstrips in that database.

Re danger areas. Unlike in the UK, there are actually rather few danger areas in France. Most of these airspaces are designated as restricted areas. Many of these are often not active (and you can and should check this before the flight). Other may be active, but can still be crossed subject to certain conditions. So, the strategy should two-fold: 1. find out as much as you can in advance about the restricted areas that might be on your route, and 2. work with the FIS in flight to confirm your information and to coordinate any crossings. Works well.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Jun 17:19
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I was in Troyes LFQB last weekend. AVGAS was 1,80€/l. That gets very close to the price of a liter Mogas…

boscomantico wrote:

work with the FIS in flight to confirm your information and to coordinate any crossings. Works well.

italianjon wrote:

Can anyone help with information for Mogas availability at French airfields.

I have not seen many Mogas pumps at French airfields, Castelnau Magnoac being the only one in my area. Ultralight fields are plentiful but I am not sure how many have pumps. I usually see folk with plastic cans filled up at the local supermarket. Some aeroclubs with an ultralight have a tank on a trailor, but may reserve it for their own use. I would bring a 20 litre can(s) and hope to find someone to help. Total now distribute UL91 to the following airfields:
LFDA
AIRE-SUR-L’ADOUR
LFHS
BOURG EN BRESSE
LFNH
CARPENTRAS
LFJY
CHAMBLEY
LFDE
EGLETONS
LFNA
GAP-TALLARD
LFXU
LES MUREAUX
LFLM
MACON- CHARNAY

Simon

Thanks for the replies guys, actually I’m shocked about the AVGAS prices in France… Bosco, want to start a tanking racket across the border (joke!)

A couple of tanks of AVGAS through the Rotax won’t hurt it, it’ll be well below the 30% requirement for increasing the maintenance. So Troyes or Orleans might be very good options as they lay almost on the direct track.

The direct track does cross many restricted areas. I understand the comments about working with FIS and that’s fine, happy to do that.

What’s the latest on arriving in France, I had heard a while ago that to land there now you need customs/immigration even if arriving from Schengnen, due to the emergency state. Is that still in force? Is there anything specific to do, or is it just like a channel crossing – fill out a form on the airport website and go flying?

Once in France, you don’t need flights plans either right? Just call on the RT and go…?

EDHS, Germany

italianjon wrote:

What’s the latest on arriving in France, I had heard a while ago that to land there now you need customs/immigration even if arriving from Schengnen, due to the emergency state. Is that still in force

All that FUD about immigration for Schengen flights in France is just that: FUD spread by people that should know better. It concerned a very small number of airfields like Colmar, Auxerre and Limoges IIRC, and was published by NOTAM for the airfields concerned. Colmar have since come to their senses and dropped the requirement (and the NOTAM). Limoges still had a NOTAM last time I checked (a couple of months ago?) and confirmed to me by phone that one did indeed need immigration for a flight between San Sebastián and Limoges.

So just check the NOTAMs and you will be OK.

italianjon wrote:

Once in France, you don’t need flights plans either right? Just call on the RT and go…?

Unless you decide to go from the French mainland to Corsica, no flight plan is required.

LFPT, LFPN
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message