Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Greece enforcing slots

@boscomantico @C210_Flyer who said its one incident that caused this ?
Its the EXTREME demand in last minute BA (inbounds or delayed outbounds) at specific 3~4 airports (mainly LGMK, LGSK, LGSR) that were causing extensive delays in air carriers because there is lack of space to house them in conjunction with very tight traffic schedules by airliners (mainly charters).

I will not comment on politics, CAA employees, the country or airports capacity handling.
My aim is to help find solutions for GA when affected by BA or Airliners or whoever.

Therefore I post here again just to let you know that the issue discussed is a non issue for non commercial operation “light” IFR GA as we know it.
I just had a talk with the person in the system, as in as it gets.
She even gave me contact details to intervene if ever as IFR GA a SLOT is requested by airport authority.

AOPA Hellas will be participating from now on in the consultation meetings between CAA and the Coordinator regarding the SLOT system in issues related only to IFR GA as end user even though it does not affect light GA.

Typically you may see it as a system already enforceable ( http://www.hsca.gr/ https://www.online-coordination.com/ ) and in operation; practically I can declare you, following my talk, that SLOTs are not enforced/required by CAA for IFR light GA in Greece.

The aim is for CAA to clarify this soon somewhere in writing but soon we all know what it means sometimes.
AOPA will help in this.

Last Edited by petakas at 18 Aug 11:33
LGMG Megara, Greece

Fantastic petakas! Thanks to you and AOPA for speaking up.

Getting rid of the requirement would be indeed great news. For the airports.

The introduction of an additional “tick box” permission, even if a formality that is always granted, can have a very negative impact on traffic that has no real need to go.

Just ask the Channel Islands what happened after the introduction of PPR for the oh-so-overcrowded Channel Island zone…

Biggin Hill

petakas wrote:

Therefore I post here again just to let you know that the issue discussed is a non issue for non commercial operation “light” IFR GA as we know it.

Ok Thanks for clarifying. I was quoting someone else.

KHTO, LHTL

This message was sent out by Eurocontrol and I can confirm as we’ve started to receive AFTN messages from Greece about flights with non-matching slots.

Since coordinated airports require using handlers and in most cases you need PPR, I don’t see this as big additional hassle. However, this will definitely not promote GA flights to Greece.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

… and the Greek handlers will be able to charge yet another fee: “Eurocontrol communication” or so.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Obviously no PPR will be obtained from airport, so handlers will be free to charge €50+ for this service.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Ok, I read the document – 10 pages. So you are still required to obtain PPR (you can do it by yourself) and then you have to apply to HCAA for slot using PPR number as reference. What I don’t understand is whether you can apply for slot by yourself or handler has to do it. If you can do it on your own then you need supporting team working for you in order to obtain all required permissions. It seems that it was easier to fly to Albania in times of Enver Hoxha than to fly to Greece these days.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I simply consider all this as not being welcome.
If I am not welcome with my own plane I won’t come by airline either.

Sign in to add your message