Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Greece enforcing slots

Sir_Percy wrote:

I simply consider all this as not being welcome.

I must be missing something. The slot requirements for some airports are not new, right? They were in place before but now they are being actively enforced by suspending flight plans that won’t make the slot?

I really don’t see the problem with that. If you have a slot, then you plan for the slot and not for some other arrival time.

I suppose they have had too many flights that just disregarded the slots.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The problem is in combination of port of entry (even for Schengen area), slot requirement, mandatory handling and Fraport. It seems a bit much for average GA (private) pilot to digest. Business GA flights already have their back-office teams who prepare such stuff for them on regular basis when flying to airports with slots while average private pilot is usually not faced with so much paperwork.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Airborne_Again wrote:

I really don’t see the problem with that. If you have a slot, then you plan for the slot and not for some other arrival time.

I think it is a very poor approach. Forcing you to use a handler to get a PPR and thereby giving them a state sanctioned money making monopoly together with all the other superfluous administrative overhead while at the same time every airport concerned has plenty of capacity for small GA is just nonsense. Just like the ridiculous NOTAMed opening hours, it is an example of infrastructre being badly managed.

Germany also has a few coordinated airports that require slots. However, nobody suspends flight plans in case of a mismatch (AERO EDNY is an exception but that is Swiss AIS doing it) and getting a slot is a simple formality and completely free of charge.

Last Edited by achimha at 03 Jul 06:29

I’ll probably be sanctioned for a political statement, but it is hard to have sympathy for Greece’s economic woes when so much effort is being made to discourage private tourism.

LSZK, Switzerland

On top of the issues you can always add weather because small GA aircrafts are heavily weather dependent, so getting and returning and then getting new slot in just day or two is not something that will work.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I’ll probably be sanctioned for a political statement,

Why would it be “sanctioned”? Airport management is full of politics. The off topic / political thread was created for posts which were basically unrelated to aviation and which would have otherwise ended up in the main forum. Such threads often go way off the rails, with all kinds of bad stuff going on in the background. Years ago, one poster ended up chucking his toys out of the pram and even abandoning a hotel booking for a fly-in

On top of the issues you can always add weather because small GA aircrafts are heavily weather dependent, so getting and returning and then getting new slot in just day or two is not something that will work.

From the PDF – you can file a slot 30 mins before arrival:

The real question is how will you know you got the slot approved?

Interesting that even the sleepy Kithira LGKC is on the list! One flight per day, probably. When I went there I doubled their traffic.

I wonder if @petakas knows any background here?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The real question is how will you know you got the slot approved?

Flight plan will be accepted or rejected based on slot approval.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

How can you choose the slot time? Will they have a slot booking website?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

By sending structured e-mail :) and then you’ll receive the result. Probably using method of try and error or every request will be approved if fits airport opening hours. Although the document mentions booking website…

Realistically the handler will do everything and change you accordingly.

Last Edited by Emir at 03 Jul 08:39
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Airborne_Again wrote:

I suppose they have had too many flights that just disregarded the slots.

Yes, and there are airports that this cannot be tolerated (private or state, it doesn’t matter, it’s the same, no changes), especially if the GA/BA flight is not a small airplane and really needs some space to park (so nobody can look the other way) and the airlines have their “traditional” slots and are affected. Has happened a lot in the well-known touristic airports. The procedure on the other hand, being non-proportional, is wrong. It’s the same as Fraport charging the same landing fee for all GA aircraft.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece
Sign in to add your message