Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Greece enforcing slots

Peter wrote:

For example you could fly Croatia to Sitia LGST, and then back. A really lovely destination, eastern Crete, and cheap. What we need is more Sitia-type airports in Greece.

You might want to revisit this statement after your next trip there… The situation has changed for the worse unfortunately. A lot of time consuming handling nonsense was added. No more climbing up the stairs up to Dimitris. A vast and deserted million Euro graveyard…

I was there last in 2014. About €50 total. Sure, it isn’t the totally free (€0) job it was in 2004.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is an old saying …“aviator’s happiest moments are the day he buys his own airplane AND the day he sells it” ! That’s true ,after 25 years of obtaining or converting licenses,ADs,SBs,SIDs,CAMOs,EASA jargon,Greek crisis (of Soviet mentality) and now Fraport,I am wingless but free and happy again and I dont see nightmares anymore. I follow your daily comments and feel sad because it can take another generation for things to REALY change to the better or quickly proceed to become “failed State”.Except helicopters,nothing S/E VFR actualy flies any more through LGGG,as I can monitor .Schizo bigotry and lack of fruitful communication won.
A Fraport employee told me recently that their policy will change next year because they didnt have enough time to be organized.HCAA and some populist politicians and locals were traditionaly boycoting them and they had to implement a “blanket” policy for all taken airports bearing in mind the Frankfurt airport procedures and charges.Another reason is the tremendous increase of “All Inclusive” visitors due to the situation in Turkey and N.Africa.So,frankly speaking I dont see any motives they woulg push their operations further with GA visitors./

LGGG

aviator’s happiest moments are the day he buys his own airplane AND the day he sells it

I have started a thread on that one here

I can see you got well and truly shafted, Medflyer, being based on Kos. Very sad!

Administrator

AOPA Hellas has updated the information on the subject of this thread in paragraph 31 of www.aopa.gr/Info

LGMG Megara, Greece

This thread is related to the Fraport one.

Administrator

I used Ioannina once as a port of entry last year and the overall experience was ok but again the charges were bigger than expected because I didn’t expect additional charge for customs/immigration (40€) and slot coordination (some 50€ IIRC). BTW I don’t understand why it’s not possible to send slot coordination messages yourself but only via handlers. And I “like” handling which includes nothing besides transfer from tarmac to the airport building and then I walk and on top of it I pay passenger’s fee because it’s in the price list. There are lot of things in GA that simply stink but handlers are probably the worst parasites.

Last Edited by Emir at 28 May 16:59
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

BTW I don’t understand why it’s not possible to send slot coordination messages yourself but only via handlers.

Are you technically able to do it on your own ?
Last time I checked I found it requires a specific custom software the programming language of which you need to know really well (certified/approved operator) and its not simple.
There is lots of coded language in there.
Annual subscription for access is in the range of 800 Euro/year.

More comments about it in www.aopa.gr/Info paragraph 31.

LGMG Megara, Greece

I guess it would be possible to implement such feature via autorouter or similar tool with flight plan filing capabilities. It’s just an access point that’s needed. If Eurocontrol allows plans to be submitted from trusted services I don’t see why slot coordination would be more challenging. Regarding coding skills, I see even less challenge – more-less all slot messages I’ve seen, follow similar structure and it’s not complicate to program message exchange and follow the statuses in order to prevent inconsistency.

Last Edited by Emir at 28 May 18:06
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

BTW here local copy describes sending slot messages via e-mail and message content is clearly described. I don’t see any special software needed because of the following article in chapter “General”:

1.2.1. All GA/BA Aircraft Operators or Handling Agent representatives must send GA/BA slot requests/changes/deletions in writing by email (in English only) to [email protected] using IATA SSIM GCR message format (SSIM Manual Appendix K).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message