Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Experiences with Russia

Flying to Russia opportunity

There is this airshow in Russia. See here: http://aviaregion.aero/

Is there anyone on this forum that speaks Russian or is even based there? We have been trying to write to these guys what we want to come over, but we are not getting any response. Also, we thought it would be cool to fly a Cessna O2 over there (of course only with permission of the Russians). I don’t speak Russian, but any help appreciated.

The Cessna O2 that we want to fly there is here: http://www.stichtingpostbellum.nl/en/fleet#cessna-0-2
It they don’t like the idea (it still have the rocket launchers mounted on it), then we go with a Seneca 2.
That is, … if we can get the organisers to respond!

EDLE, Netherlands

I speak Russian, visit Russia every year, and hold Russian citizenship, but I have abandoned the thoughts of flying there myself. It can certainly be done and I am willing to help, but you need to keep a few points in mind:
- Route charges apply even under 2 tonnes MTOW (under VFR, too).
- To be allowed into the Russian airspace, you need to obtain an authorization in advance.
- You have to use airways authorized for foreign aircraft (there is a list in the AIP). Everything else requires an additional authorization from FSB (ex-KGB).
- Inquire with enroute landing airports about avgas availability.
- Generally, like in some African countries, you tend to get unexpected problems. You can pay your way out of it, but be prepared.
- Even when flying on international routes, I would recommend to have a Russian speaker in the cockpit. ATC controlling the routes/airports with a lot of foreign traffic speak decent English, but Yaroslavl doesn’t seem to be one of these.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

It sounds like the cold war is still on, at least on the Russian side.

LFPT, LFPN

Ultranomad: I have send you a PM.

EDLE, Netherlands

@AeroPlus, check the latest eNews from IAOPA. AOPA Russia had a formal invitation for foreign aircraft. Unfortunately I was unable to get a hold of a link now.

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310: yes, I know about that formal invitation for foreign aircraft. In that invitation they suggest you contact them at [email protected] which is what we did. Then no more news :-( and their website is all in the Russian language :-)

EDLE, Netherlands

Sorry to hear that. I also like the idea of going there. Would love to see an all russian airshow one day.

ESSZ, Sweden

I speak Russian, live in Moscow and can talk to the guys at AOPA Russia if you like. It’s true you have to land foreign registered aircraft at a port of entry (expensive) and other routes require permission well in advance, probably involving having a navigator on board. Perhaps exceptions would be made to attend something like this near Yaroslavl. I’ll ask. The AOPA guys would be the ones to help.

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa: UltraNomad is going to try to give them a call today. Any help is appreciated of course but maybe good to sync with UltraNomad? :-)

The thing is that I will be flying around Mozambique, Malawi and South Africa from mid this week until mid May. It is quite easy to get the visa arranged in time when I am back home again on the 15th of May by using a visa service as long as AOPA Russia collaborates and sends us the invitation letter, etc. I am sure that if they arrange an event, we should be able to fly and get the overland and landing permissions. I think AOPA was even thinking of flying in a group of aircrafts from the port of entry to the airshow field. I am aware of the costs involved. In Africa and the Middle East things are not cheap either all the time and I managed that ok. Coolest thing would be to fly to the Russian airshow with a US Army warbird that actually flew in Vietnam, but otherwise flying a Cirrus or Seneca 2 will be ok with us as well.

Good to know we have people in Russia or Russians on the forum as well. Great!

EDLE, Netherlands

I spoke to AOPA Russia. They promised a response in English to requests today. Did you get one?

Tököl LHTL
Sign in to add your message